ZFS SSD Pool with NVMe Cache (ZIL & L2ARC)

Yes, the problem is true for consumer grade hardware (I also run into it on a laptop with PVE). Please don't use customer ssd's (and no, the pro version of e.g. samsung is still consumer grade) with PVE. If you'd use enterprise grade SSDs, this would not be a problem (and this is the overall experience from many, many users here in the forum and from the PVE stuff, they always refer to this).

Is this a problem due to write amolification handled better or Just because enterprise SSD has more write Endurance? If second case, is not a solution, is like putting a bigger fuel tank in a car because the engine is loosing fuel on the floor[/QUOTE]

If second case, is not a solution, is like putting a bigger fuel tank in a car because the engine is loosing fuel on the floo

I think the write amplification is the main problem here. In one particular case, we're using enterprise grade ssds for almost 5 years, 3 of them in a PVE cluster and we still have 99% life left - the same as we had on the first day. The tested consumer grade SSD I tried lost 40% of life in just one month.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!