Foster Banks

Dec 13, 2017
Hi All,

I would like to know if anyone out there has been able to set this one up:

Scenario:

Hypervisors:
4 Servers running Proxmox 5.0
All servers are on the SAME VLAN
All 4 servers share the 185.43.xx.0/29 Network.
All 4 servers share the 10.99.99.0/28 Network for Private Internal communication aka backups, etc.

NAS
1 Server, on the same vlan Using ONLY non-routable IP address AKA 10.xx.xx.xx/24 network.

NOTES:
All servers can see each other.
Configuring VM's with IP addresses manually is fine, full network access is achieved.

What I would like:
Since I dont see a DHCP function on Proxmox itself, i assume i have to implement another solution.

1. At creation, all the VM's and LXC Containers should obtain IP addresses via DHCP.
2. Security is a concern for DHCP, should this be handled on the firewall of Proxmox?
3. Should the DHCP be a VM for example? Or maybe i should configure a relay and delegate this function to another host on another network.

Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,

Foster

Attachments

• Topology.png
    Topology.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 8
*****UPDATE*****
So, as i was not goint to wait for a solution, i did some more research and i solved the issue. This is what i did.

Created a LXC Container with Centos 6.7 and installed dhcpd in this container.
A guide to deploy a dhcpd server can be read here: hxxps://www.tecmint.com/install-dhcp-server-in-centos-rhel-fedora/

With this in place, I created a new VM and configured to obtain IP via DHCP.
As expected, the DHCP server did its job and leased an IP to the client.

I assume some more tuning is needed however, the core functionality is added and now CT's and VM's can get an IP from the DHCP server.

Foster

******UPDATE******

So i have encountered an issue.
The DHCP Function works well as long as the DHCP Server and the VM/CT are on the same Hardware Node (host).

I spent over 8 hours t-shooting this issue until i realized this.
If the DHCP Server is on Host A, and the VM Client is on Host B, then for some reason the request from the client never makes it to the server.

If however, they are both on the same Host, then it works fine.
I am not sure why, there is no ACL anywhere, they are all on the same vlan.

Ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,

Foster Banks

*****UPDATE*****
The issue was an ACL on the Distribution switches.
Traffic was being dropped, modified the ACL to allow traffic and it all works now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!