how to add a hdd more in ProxMox

AndyDK

Nov 11, 2017
Hi all,

first of all, im quite new to ProxMox, but overall i'm quite happy for it!

I've got a HP MicroServer Gen8 with one hdd right now. If i put another hdd in one of the others bays will ProxMox by it self detect a new hdd, and then i could add the hdd for one of the virtual OS i'm running? Or should i install the hdd some how?

If i buy a SSD disk only for ProxMox/Virtual OS running on it, would it be possible to run the OS on the SSD disk, and only use the other hdd for files without the OS running on the normal hdd?

You need to partition and format the drive before you do something with it, just like in any OS pretty much.

If you have enough RAM (e.g. 16 GB on the microserver) then use ZFS, then add the pool/dataset from Cluster -> Storage -> Add so that it is visible to the system.

Everything you need is written in the wiki ;)

With only 4 GB of RAM forget about ZFS!

In general the steps you need to perform when you're installing from scratch are:
Step 1: install proxmox on the SSD
Step 2: partition the 1TB drive (GPT scheme preferably), format in ext4 and give it a mount point
Step 3: add it to /etc/fstab so that it is mounted during system boot
(for steps 2 and 3 please see https://www.digitalocean.com/commun...partition-and-format-storage-devices-in-linux)
Step 4: add it to Cluster -> Storage -> Add -> Directory, then select Disk Image and Container under Content
Step 5: install you VMs selecting that location for storage

With only 4 GB of RAM forget about ZFS!

In general the steps you need to perform when you're installing from scratch are:
Step 1: install proxmox on the SSD
Step 2: partition the 1TB drive (GPT scheme preferably), format in ext4 and give it a mount point
Step 3: add it to /etc/fstab so that it is mounted during system boot
(for steps 2 and 3 please see https://www.digitalocean.com/commun...partition-and-format-storage-devices-in-linux)
Step 4: add it to Cluster -> Storage -> Add -> Directory, then select Disk Image and Container under Content
Step 5: install you VMs selecting that location for storage

How big should i bough a SSD disk for if it only runs ProxMox/Virtuals OS? is 180GB enough ?

I will upgrade the RAM ASAP

The size of the disk depends on what you want to do, but if you're asking if the default Proxmox installation will fit into 180 GB drive... it will :)

Make sure you buy ECC RAM for the HP Microserver (e.g. Kingston KTH-PL316E/8G)

Reactions: AndyDK
The size of the disk depends on what you want to do, but if you're asking if the default Proxmox installation will fit into 180 GB drive... it will :)

Make sure you buy ECC RAM for the HP Microserver (e.g. Kingston KTH-PL316E/8G)

Yeah, but is 180GB enough for running Win7/Win Server 2016 only for OS, and use the other disk for storage?

About the RAM, what kind should i look for other then Kingston? Right now only one slot is used with 4GB so i think to buy another 4GB so there is totally 8GB on 2 slots maybe this one from Kingston;
KCP316NS8/4

I removed the 4 GB module and installed 2 x KTH-PL316E/8G.
Use the manufacturer's "memory finder" to get the compatible RAM modules with your server.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!