VM not seeing new lvsize after resizing

yaboc

Renowned Member
Nov 13, 2012
hi
i have one VM that i'm trying to add 20G to.

--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/NYPH/vm-105-disk-1
LV Name vm-105-disk-1
VG Name NYPH
LV UUID odLtwF-C2SH-UREn-oPs6-ZKAe-rwQw-N9Qskg
LV Write Access read/write
LV Creation host, time px1, 2017-01-10 21:19:31 -0500
LV Status available
# open 1
LV Size 150.00 GiB
Current LE 43520
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto
- currently set to 256
Block device 251:1

lvresize -v -L +20G /dev/NYPH/vm-105-disk-1

command sucesfully executes

new size shows up

--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/NYPH/vm-105-disk-1
LV Name vm-105-disk-1
VG Name NYPH
LV UUID odLtwF-C2SH-UREn-oPs6-ZKAe-rwQw-N9Qskg
LV Write Access read/write
LV Creation host, time px1, 2017-01-10 21:19:31 -0500
LV Status available
# open 1
LV Size 150.00 GiB
Current LE 43520
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto
- currently set to 256
Block device 251:1

but when i log in to the VM (using gparted to resize the fs) it's still showing the old size. not using lvm inside that VM.

I did another two VMs earlier (windows w2k12) and debain (with LVM inside VM) and it worked. lvresize of the disk then booted into the VM and used gparted to expand disk and fs.

tried to reboot VM and the host to see if the new disk size will show up but no go. is cloning to new vm drive the next best option?

any ideas ?

Last edited:
Why haven't you done the resizing through Proxmox VE itself? It's one click and it works perfectly.

Your problem is, that you have to tell QEMU (the underlying virtualisation technology) that the disk changed as well. I've never done a resizing manually, so I cannot assist on the qemu rediscover disk size part. I always used the built-in resize button for that.

i thought the resizing only works for local storage and not a shared one, but i just tried the resize button in PVE and everything worked just fine. thanks for your help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!