Proxmox with debian kernel 4.8.0-0.bpo.2-amd64?

jmar83

Nov 26, 2015
CH
www.cannabislegal.xyz
I updated to a "default" debian kernel from the debian repositories with version 4.8.0-0.bpo.2-amd64.

Has somebody done that same thing, testing with that kernel?

The proxmox version i use is Virtual Environment 4.4-1/eb2d6f1e.

Regards,
Jan

Proxmox VE since version 4.0 is based on an Ubuntu LTS kernel and will only be supported on that kernel. Why do you want to try a Debian kernel?

Based on an ubuntu-kernel, but the rest is debian so i understand? -> https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap

I had an earlier, debian (jessie) based version with 4.2 kernel before. Then i had some problems with packages, because of that i upgraded/repaired it via "apt-get upgrade" to the current version at this time - when i remember right. It upgraded it to version 4.4-1/eb2d6f1e. Then, the next step was installing kernel 4.8.0.x from the debian repository... just for trying ;)

With Windows Server 2008 R2 i have some problems with the disk i/o speed. The only one driver that works well is the scsi driver. The other ones (virtio, ide, sata) are too slow.

Windows Server 2003 and linux works well with several configurations.

Regards, Jan

Based on an ubuntu-kernel, but the rest is debian so i understand? -> https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap

Yes. This is for hardware support. The LTS kernels are used for servers and some vendors certify Ubuntu, so to get better hardware support and a place to turn to on errors.

I had an earlier, debian (jessie) based version with 4.2 kernel before. Then i had some problems with packages, because of that i upgraded/repaired it via "apt-get upgrade" to the current version at this time - when i remember right. It upgraded it to version 4.4-1/eb2d6f1e. Then, the next step was installing kernel 4.8.0.x from the debian repository... just for trying ;)

So, you have time at hand and want to deal with problems you would normally not have :-D

With Windows Server 2008 R2 i have some problems with the disk i/o speed. The only one driver that works well is the scsi driver. The other ones (virtio, ide, sata) are too slow.

Windows Server 2003 and linux works well with several configurations.

But this does not depend on the used kernel version of the hypervisor.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!