Greylisting and order of operations

jlar310

Jun 27, 2007
We currently use greylisting because it (appears to) stop a lot of bogus messages. But our users get a little annoyed with the delay from some poorly configured senders plus I get a little tired of trying to explain it.

In looking at the Greylist tab in the Tracking Center page, I see an incredibly large number of greylisted messages that are sent to completely bogus addresses.

My statistics show that greylisting blocks 67% of incoming mail, but how many of those were to undeliverable addresses in the first place? How can I justify greylisting if the stats are skewed?

I've often wished I could rearrange the order of spam checks in Proxmox (i.e., verify receiver first, then greylist if receiver is OK), but it's not in the Web UI anywhere and I'd rather not mess with configuration templates that could have changes wiped out with every upgrade (if that's even an possibility).

I've been a loyal proxmox customer for years, but I really need some more flexibility.

Are there any options in Proxmox I'm just not seeing?

Would you be so kind as to share the order of checks? That might shed some light on possible work-arounds.

Is greylisting the very first check? Does nothing happen until greylisting passes?

One thing that would help is being able to whitelist a server domain. Not the sender domain, but the server farm domain. Greylisting works poorly with server farms because the sending server is often random. In particular, our customers that use Microsoft hosted services suffer from this. If I whitelist a domain, will that include the server farm or only sender address? The admin guide does not go into detail on this topic. Whitelisting the IP addresses of an entire farm would not be a joy to maintain...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!