Windows 2012 R2 Slow IO and Freezes on 4.1

keefe007

Jul 20, 2016
I just setup a new server (DL360 G5) with proxmox. I installed Windows 2012 R2 on a new VM using the recommendations in the proxmox wiki. Now that the server is up an running i notice that it randomly freezes up for awhile and then goes back to normal. When I try to copy files to the server they'll start copying fast, then come crawling to a stop, and then resume again. What could be causing this? I do have all of the VirtIO drivers installed.

I have a similar problem with a 2008 R2 guest. I managed to get better stability when switching disk caching to none. The performance is more consistent then, but slow.

Do you have virtio stable, or virtio latest installed?

are you using Qcow2 as the disk format?

ok, I have tried downgrading to the stable Virtio drivers. Still seeing weirdness on fresh installations.

Linux guests are completely fine

What is your storage backing?

For reference: I was having a lot of trouble on a 2012 r2 with current 0.1.102 drivers, it would have really long boot times and sometimes crash before booting. I went back to virtio version 62.72.104.10200 and it has not had any trouble since. Running on qcow on RAID10 8x SSD, Dell R720 w\ PERC H710P.

I am getting 45MB/s from the 2012 to a Win7 VM on the same box. Currently running 3 VMs, a 2012, 2003, and Win7.

HD performance with just the 2012 running is this (probably artificial due to caching):

With all 3 VMs running it drops to about 800MB read / 990MB write on the 2012.

Beware of the virtio driver version ... I had troubles with "latest" and Windows 2012R2, I had to downgrade to "stable" release (virtio-scsi 62.72.104.10200 released on 2015-03-10).
By now, my Windows 2012R2 under ProxMox 4.2 is very stable.

To be precise, this is a problem I encountered only with 2012R2, I'm using latest virtio drivers with a Win7 VM and it works great.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!