Rate limit storage migration

zBrain

Apr 27, 2013
I'm wanting to move some VM HDDs between local and network storage but doing so causes the storage network to saturate and VMs to crash. Can I live migrate but limit it to say 50MB/s?

Does rate limiting the drive accomplish this?

You can set the "migrate_speed" configuration (MB/s) to limit RAM transfer speed. But this does not affect storage copy speed.

I take that to mean it's not possible. That's unfortunate, as every time I clone a larger template it knocks off some VMs. Same thing with moving virtua storage between network storages. Is there a way to do it via CLI? Obviously I could take it offline and use rsync with a rate limit but I'd prefer a method that didn't force me to put things offline.

I can see the following solutions for your problem:

* use shared storage instead
* use a faster network (10GB)
* implement rate limit yourself and send patches
* report a bug at bugzilla.proxmox.com and hope someone else implements this

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!