Live Migration without shared storage

Alessandro 123

May 22, 2016
Hi to all,
is possible, with proxmox, doing a live migration without any shared storage, like Xen does with XenMotion ?

You can power off a VM on local storage and migrate it to another local storage host without issue. Why can't an online migration with local storage be done when an offline one can?

offline is just rsync like transfer. Online is something else. Possible to install a temp low-budget NFS device?
You can move storage (online) to NFS, move the server and move NFS back to local.

All online!

So the current situation is to follow the wiki for Proxmox 1? => https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Backup_-_Restore_-_Live_Migration or is there any newer documentation available?

In my case I don't care about online/offline migration I just need to get about 5 LXCs and 1 KVM from the Proxmox server its currently running onto a new one then transfer the IP range those VMs are using as well and bring the machines back up.

No problem shutting them all down and using rsync for transfer but those instructions don't say anything about LXC migration.

Also, is the restore done solely on the command line, no GUI for importing those backups?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!