How to upgrade from 3.0 to LATEST version without effecting uptime?

torontob

Oct 18, 2010
Hi everyone,

I have been reading some horror stories about grub not working and things going down after upgrades. I have a free community version of Proxmox and I want to know how to upgrade it properly.

1- What is the subscription key and why do I have to add it?
2- What are the commands to upgrade?
3- How long does it take to upgrade?
4- Should I be on site or can this be done remotely (i.e. would I loose connection to server)?
5- I have many OpenVZ containers. Should I be afraid that they will be effected at upgrade?

Thanks,

Upgrading will require a reboot.

1. What? You don't need a key.

2. Use the GUI or standard Debian apt-get update/upgrade commands

3. Depends on your network connection and speed of the server. Updating to 3.4, I would block out an hour at least just for the verification that nothing went wrong. A typical upgrade should take no more than a few minutes.

4. It can be done remotely, assuming you have console access in case anything goes wrong (iDRAC, ILO, IPMi)

5. What do you mean? Vms and vz should not be affected.

Sorry, I'm confused about the replies about the subscription key.
Is this needed in case we want to use the enterprise repo, but not needed if we want to upgrade to 3.4 version using free no-subscription right?
thanks in advance.

So, this is using the same repository but if it finds a subscription key then Enterprise version is activated and if it doesn't find it (which is my case) then it just moves on with the free version? The wiki says, "Make sure that you have uploaded a valid subscription key to your Proxmox VE host." This is a bit strong wording and I am wondering if this should say "If you are installing Enterprise version make sure that you have uploaded a valid subscription key...." ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!