Recent content by jdancer

  1. J

    recommended 100 Gbit/s NICs for Ceph

    So far, E810 issues have been resolved at work. As with all things, one must do their own due diligence and test their own infrastructure. YMMV.
  2. J

    Kernel 7.0.14-14-pve: immediate reset + CPU machine check when igb loads on I350 (Dell XC730xd) — 6.14 unaffected

    I don't enable SR-IOV on the 13th-gen Dells at work in production. Running without issues. I do enable X2APIC and I/OAT DMA though. All servers are running latest firmware (BIOS, NIC, iDRAC, etc, etc).
  3. J

    recommended 100 Gbit/s NICs for Ceph

    At work, the order of precedence for reliability is: 1) Mellanox (CX-6) 2) Intel (E810) 3) Broadcom (NetXtreme/Thor)
  4. J

    losing dirty-bitmaps during Live Migration

    Probably a long shot but the only clusters I manage at work are Ceph. Not ZFS. For testing, try setting the VM cache to none/default (obviously reboot the VM). YMMV.
  5. J

    Live Migrations get slower over time

    I found out through trial-and-error live migrations with Ceph, I had to set the VM cache to none/default. Started doing this way back with Proxmox 6. Today's AI bots confirm this is correct setting for Proxmox Ceph live migrations. YMMV. I don't use ZFS on clustered machines except mirroring...
  6. J

    H330 sas controller failed after upgrading to Kernel 6.17.2-2-pve

    LOL, as I mentioned before, to avoid megaraid_sas driver drama, get a Dell HBA330 (which are cheap to get and uses the LSI3008 chip) which is a true IT/HBA-mode controller. Flash with latest Dell firmware. It uses the much simpler mpt3sas driver. No issues in production.
  7. J

    Do you think we can install Proxmox into a Dell E660 vxrail server?

    Since the base reference PowerEdge server for the E660 is the R650, it should work. I suggest you "de-brand" it to a standard R650. That requires flashing the PowerEdge Identify Module, factory reset the iDRAC, then flash the R650 BIOS, iDRAC, and any other firmware (NIC, etc).
  8. J

    rhel initrd getting corrupted during import

    Missing the the '-N/--no-hostonly' option for dracut which loads all drivers for initrd. This is my procedure way back migrating from ESXi to Proxmox https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/debian-11-not-booting-with-virtio-scsi-single-but-works-with-vmware-pvscsi.144806/post-652170
  9. J

    HPE DL380 GEN9

    Need to be more specific on installation issues. I have successfully installed Proxmox 9 on Dell PowerEdge R730s (all R730s are updated with latest firmware) which is equivalent to a HPE DL380 GEN9. I did have to enable X2APIC and I/OAT DMA in the UEFI/BIOS though. I use Balena Etcher to...
  10. J

    Upgrade 8 to 9 on HP DL360 G7

    Just did a clean install of my Supermicro home rack server from PVE8 to PVE9. Yeah, I wait until the last minute. No worries, I've been clean installing PVE9 at work on Dell servers since PVE9 came out. Prefer clean installs. Got punked too many times with major operating system upgrades...
  11. J

    Dell PowerEdge R640 compatibility

    Been running latest version of Proxmox on Dell 10/11/12/13/14/15-gen servers without issues. These servers were previously running VMware. Just make sure to run the latest firmware (NIC, BIOS, disk controller, iDRAC, etc, etc). If going to use ZFS/Ceph, I strongly suggest swapping out the PERC...
  12. J

    CEPH Performance

    As they say, it depends on workloads. Ceph is a scale-out solution, more nodes/OSDs = more IOPS. At least you got the right number of nodes and networking correct at the beginning. Been using Ceph Tentacle erasure-coding for some VMs workloads, it's getting there in terms of Ceph replication IOPS.
  13. J

    New install on Dell R710 - Upgrade PERC 6 to H310 or H730?

    I have flashed a PERC 6 in a Dell R200 to IT-mode using Broadcom firmware using someone's web blog post. This was awhile ago. 12th-gen Dell PERC controllers (ie, H310) can be flashed to IT-mode per https://fohdeesha.com/docs/perc.html I have these running production with no issues. Just don't...
  14. J

    PVE8 Intel I350-T4 NIC driver issues

    Hardware that works in both R630 & R640, you can use the R640 firmware for the hardware on the R630. I flashed the firmware using the Dell .BIN file for RHEL & clones.
  15. J

    PVE8 Intel I350-T4 NIC driver issues

    I use Dell X550/I350 rNDCs (CD2VM) wihout issues in production with the latest 7.x kernel in R630s. BIOS settings enabled options are X2APIC, I/OAT DMA, UEFI, and Secure Boot. I do NOT have SR-IOV enabled. I did flash the Dell version 23.0.0 Intel X550/I350 firmware on the rNDCs. YMMV.