Opt-in Linux 6.2 Kernel for Proxmox VE 7.x available

i'm having an issue in upgrading to the 6.2 kernel, currently on PVE 7.3. the upgrade works fine but when i do an apt dist-upgrade it wants to reinstall the 5.15 kernel. I tried to purge the previous kernel versions but am getting the following error:
The following packages will be REMOVED:
proxmox-ve* pve-kernel-5.15* pve-kernel-5.15.39-3-pve* pve-kernel-5.15.39-4-pve* pve-kernel-5.15.53-1-pve*
pve-kernel-5.15.60-1-pve* pve-kernel-5.15.64-1-pve* pve-kernel-5.15.74-1-pve* pve-kernel-5.15.83-1-pve*
pve-kernel-5.15.85-1-pve*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 10 to remove and 21 not upgraded.
After this operation, 400 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
W: (pve-apt-hook) !! WARNING !!
W: (pve-apt-hook) You are attempting to remove the meta-package 'proxmox-ve'!
W: (pve-apt-hook)
W: (pve-apt-hook) If you really want to permanently remove 'proxmox-ve' from your system, run the following command
W: (pve-apt-hook) touch '/please-remove-proxmox-ve'
W: (pve-apt-hook) run apt purge proxmox-ve to remove the meta-package
W: (pve-apt-hook) and repeat your apt invocation.
W: (pve-apt-hook)
W: (pve-apt-hook) If you are unsure why 'proxmox-ve' would be removed, please verify
W: (pve-apt-hook) - your APT repository settings
W: (pve-apt-hook) - that you are using 'apt full-upgrade' to upgrade your system
E: Sub-process /usr/share/proxmox-ve/pve-apt-hook returned an error code (1)
E: Failure running script /usr/share/proxmox-ve/pve-apt-hook

I'm sure i've screwed something up, but not seeing it.

i'm having an issue in upgrading to the 6.2 kernel, currently on PVE 7.3. the upgrade works fine but when i do an apt dist-upgrade it wants to reinstall the 5.15 kernel. I tried to purge the previous kernel versions but am getting the following error:
Kernel 6.2 is optional but kernel 5.15 is required, that's why Promox wants to reinstall (the latest) kernel 5.15. You can uninstall older 5.15 kernels separately.

Reactions: seanshankus
Kernel 6.2 is optional but kernel 5.15 is required, that's why Promox wants to reinstall (the latest) kernel 5.15. You can uninstall older 5.15 kernels separately.
so my only option is to reinstall the kernel after every dist-upgrade? i really don't want to get into a cycle of upgrade to 6.2, get automatically downgraded to 5.15. sorry for the basic question/misunderstanding on this. but i'm missing something. why have an optional upgrade if it gets undone with the next upgrade.

How would you revert to the 5.15 kernel in case of instability? Thanks a lot for the update!
You can either:
  • manually select a specific kernel at boot for switching back once
  • use the proxmox-boot-tool kernel pin OLD-KERNEL command to pin the older one permanently while keeping the newer
  • simply remove the newer kernel again (apt remove pve-kernel-6.2*), as Proxmox VE 7.4 still has a package dependency on the 5.15 based one, it will be still installed and then used again.

so my only option is to reinstall the kernel after every dist-upgrade? i really don't want to get into a cycle of upgrade to 6.2, get automatically downgraded to 5.15. sorry for the basic question/misunderstanding on this. but i'm missing something. why have an optional upgrade if it gets undone with the next upgrade.
The newest kernel (as in the highest version number) will always be picked automatically by default, so you can keep the 5.15 one without getting it booted automatically or the like.

You don't have to reinstall the optional kernel after every dist-upgrade, they are not mutually exclusive.
I'm using 6.2 and have one 5.15 remaining (because I run apt autoremove --purge after apt dist-upgrade). The newer 5.15 kernels are installed automatically (and take up disk space) but my system simply keeps booting the latest 6.2 automatically (with the default configuration).
In practice I experience no problems with having 5.15 kernels still installed (even though some of my VMs crash with kernel 5.15 because of PCIe passthrough).

Reactions: seanshankus
You don't have to reinstall the optional kernel after every dist-upgrade, they are not mutually exclusive.
I'm using 6.2 and have one 5.15 remaining (because I run apt autoremove --purge after apt dist-upgrade). The newer 5.15 kernels are installed automatically (and take up disk space) but my system simply keeps booting the latest 6.2 automatically (with the default configuration).
In practice I experience no problems with having 5.15 kernels still installed (even though some of my VMs crash with kernel 5.15 because of PCIe passthrough).
Ahhh HA! okay i think this is what i was missing, just because it updates the other kernels, doesn't mean it will revert back to previous version without manual intervention. THank you. I knew i was missing something, simple.

I'm just curios:
Is there a specific reason for using linux-6.2 in favor of 6.1 (which is the lts version)?

I'm not going to pretend that I know the official reasoning, but my observations and thoughts as a regular user are as follows:

The Proxmox default kernel is still 5.15 and will probably continue to be so for a good while (idk, but I see no real reason why not). Meanwhile the "opt-in newer kernel" has continued shifting to newer versions as they come along; with the last few being 5.19, 6.1, now 6.2.
I would think that more thought will be put into whether a kernel version branch is flagged as "longterm" when it comes to picking a new *default* kernel, while the "opt-in new kernel" seems to very much be a moving target anyway (and deliberately so, with the idea being to provide the latest drivers etc).

I'm not going to pretend that I know the official reasoning, but my observations and thoughts as a regular user are as follows:

The Proxmox default kernel is still 5.15 and will probably continue to be so for a good while (idk, but I see no real reason why not). Meanwhile the "opt-in newer kernel" has continued shifting to newer versions as they come along; with the last few being 5.19, 6.1, now 6.2.
I would think that more thought will be put into whether a kernel version branch is flagged as "longterm" when it comes to picking a new *default* kernel, while the "opt-in new kernel" seems to very much be a moving target anyway (and deliberately so, with the idea being to provide the latest drivers etc).
The official reason given up above: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/o...r-proxmox-ve-7-x-available.124189/post-542916

You can either:
  • manually select a specific kernel at boot for switching back once
  • use the proxmox-boot-tool kernel pin OLD-KERNEL command to pin the older one permanently while keeping the newer
  • simply remove the newer kernel again (apt remove pve-kernel-6.2*), as Proxmox VE still has a package dependency on the 5.15 based one, it will be still installed and then used again.
If doing this remotely via SSH, without physical access to the actual machine, would removing the 6.2 kernel via apt remove pve-kernel-6.2* be enough to boot into the 5.15 kernel?

Thanks a lot for your answer!

Last edited:
that's all cool of course, but what do I do with multi-thousand dollar lightpulse fiber channel adapters that refuse to work after kernel 5.4? even compiling the newest driver with the new firmware does not help!
Maybe ask to your fiber channel adapter manufacturer why they can't provide a working driver since 2019 ? if they are certified for ubuntu, they should works out of the box.
What is your adapter model/brand ?

Emulex LPe31002-M6
I tried to register today and make a ticket on the broadcom portal, but it was as difficult as getting them to work.
I do not know who is to blame, but the kernel developers seem to have simply removed the necessary fc operation mode in the new kernels. discussion
I'm trying to figure out how to fix it, but so far everything is in vain
The thing is that this commit as been made by broadcom itself. Maybe they don't want to support old hardware ? (not sure about how old is your card ?)

I have installed 6.2.6-1-pve on my AMD5900HX system (previously running 6.0.19-edge), and it hangs with:

Code:
EFI Stub: Loaded initrd from command line option

The system requires a power cycle to recover.

Is there a way to get better debug output so i know why it's not going any further?

I install the 6.2 kernel and it appears to be working perfectly fine. I did notice that btrfs-progs are at 5.16 (using btrfs --version), whereas I would have expected them to be updated to 6.2.

Getting following error:

Code:
proxmox kernel: [Hardware Error]: Corrected error, no action required.
proxmox kernel: [Hardware Error]: CPU:0 (17:71:0) MC25_STATUS[-|CE|MiscV|-|-|-|-|CECC|-|-|-]: 0x98004000003e0000
proxmox kernel: [Hardware Error]: IPID: 0x000100ff03830400
proxmox kernel: [Hardware Error]: Platform Security Processor Ext. Error Code: 62
proxmox kernel: [Hardware Error]: cache level: RESV, tx: INSN

CPU - Ryzen 3900X
Board - ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Error stopped after downgrading to 6.1 (with apt-get purge pve-kernel-6.2* pve-headers-6.2*)

Is there an ISO available that includes the 6.2 kernel?

I've been trying to install Proxmox with ZFS using the qemu method on my new AX52 server from Hetzner, but although the installation process appears to work, I can't log in to my server.
At first, I thought I had a network configuration issue, but after ordering a KVM, I realized that I was experiencing a boot issue that redirected me to the BIOS.
The server's processor is an AMD Ryzen 7 7700, and I suspect that the 5.15 kernel is not supported and that I need a kernel version of 5.18 or higher.

Reactions: hexx and s0rn0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!