ZVS vs lv-thin for single SSD for VMs

ILikeBeans86

Jan 28, 2022
Right now i have proxmox installed on an ssd and a separate 1tb SSD using ZFS just for the vms. My total RAM usage is really high. I did a little research and from what i gather ZFS will use available ram if theres there but if a vms needs it it will give some up so Im not sure if im in danger of running out but I was wondering if i convert that ZFS drive to lvm-thin if the ram usage will go down. I also noticed the wear on the SSD went up about 2% in 2-3 weeks which seems a little high. I did change some swap settings to try and mitigate that. Would lvm-thin be a better option in my situation? When i say high ram usage like 90% of my total ram. Thanks.

Right now i have proxmox installed on an ssd and a separate 1tb SSD using ZFS just for the vms. My total RAM usage is really high. I did a little research and from what i gather ZFS will use available ram if theres there but if a vms needs it it will give some up so Im not sure if im in danger of running out but I was wondering if i convert that ZFS drive to lvm-thin if the ram usage will go down.
By default ZFS will use between 1GB and UP TO 50% of your hosts total RAM. So as long as you got some GBs for ZFS that pool should work. But the more RAM you give your ZFS the faster your pool will be. Under normal circumstances ZFSs ARC should decrease slowly down to 1GB if something else needs the RAM.
I also noticed the wear on the SSD went up about 2% in 2-3 weeks which seems a little high.
Yes, thats one of the points why you should only use enterprise grade SSDs with ZFS because they can handle more writes and will last longer.
I did change some swap settings to try and mitigate that. Would lvm-thin be a better option in my situation?
If you don't need the ZFS features (raid, snapshots, replication, blocklevel compression, deduplication, monitoring if your files are currupted by bit rot, ...) I would recommend LVM-Thin for your VM/LXC storage as it will have way less overhead.

Last edited:
If you don't need the ZFS features (raid, snapshots, replication, blocklevel compression, deduplication, monitoring if your files are currupted by bit rot, ...) I would recommend LVM-Thin for your VM/LXC storage as it will have way less overhead.

I thought lvm-thin could do snapshops?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!