ZFS: VM increase in size after Backup, proxmox going crazy.

BelluX

Dec 10, 2019
Hi,

like title i have a big problem with my setup.

Is a proxmox 6.0 upgraded to a 7.0.

I see that after i run a backup, snapshot or stop mode, my VM (Ubuntu 20.04) start to increase in size on /.

1657745203123.png

1657745255676.png

You can see / increased in size by 30GB after only 10 minutes, what is the cause? I'm 100% that is something connected to ZFS but i don't know how to look and how to fix this issue.

Anyone with a similar situation?

Let me know which log i need to look for understand this.

Thank you!

check /, is increased by 10% and still going...

1657746155254.png

now is 28% compared to the first image that was 18% of /

UPDATE:

after a reboot of the VM seems solved but if i start a new backup the problem restart.

1657747983422.png

1657748006627.png

this is the situation of / after a reboot, what is causing this? :(

Where do you store your backups? If you didn't added another storage for backups the default place for backups is "/var/lib/vz/dump" so you are storing your backups on your root filesystem so "/" is increasing.

Hmm .. that is very strange and I don't think that your PVE update and the space increase in your VM are related. There is an isolation layer in between so I cannot imagine what on the PVE should have been changed to get the increase in size.

I'd suggest try to dissect the problem by trying to find out where the actual size increase is happending, e.g. by running

Code:
du -xhs * 2>/dev/null

10min appart and go then one folder down until you find the culprit. After identifing that, report back and we can inspect further.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!