ZFS used space in GUI

greg

Renowned Member
Apr 6, 2011
Greetings
I'm having trouble interpreting the values shown in "Storage" ; for example, it shows:

Code:
subvol-134-disk-0       375.81 GB

but in CLI:

Code:
# zfs list -o space -r rpool/ct/subvol-134-disk-0
NAME                        AVAIL   USED  USEDSNAP  USEDDS  USEDREFRESERV  USEDCHILD
rpool/ct/subvol-134-disk-0  86.6G  1.02T      785G    263G             0B         0B

I'm trying to understand what is taking so much space on my disk.
How is calculated the number in the GUI?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Accoding to your "zfs list -o space -r rpool/ct/subvol-134-disk-0" 263GB of the dataset is used by data + 785GB is used by snapshots.
Make sure not to keep snapshots more than a few days or weeks because they will grow over time and getting bigger and bigger.
For long term backups its better to setup a PBS as these won'T grow over time and can even save space compared to snapshots because of the deduplication.

Last edited:
Also note that the UI seems to use GB and the command GiB as the unit of measurement.

Thanks for your answers.
My understanding is that the GUI shows the "max theoretical" size (i.e. the size of the volume as shown in the the guest), where the CLI shows the actual used space.
My problem is, if I sum all the snapshots, I'm about 300G, very far from the 785G in USEDSNAP...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!