ZFS silent data corruption question

pos-sudo

Jun 13, 2021
Dear,

I just read about the silent data corruption bug in OpenZFS here: https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/issues/15526

I was wondering since this is an ancient bug in ZFS if we need to take immidiate action on Proxmox Nodes that have OpenZFS version below 2.2.0? Since I read on the internet that the bug is there for a long time but it only appears to be exploited since the latest 2.2.0 and 2.2.1 release. And that it theoritically could be exploited in lower versions but that in a real world scenario this only appears if you have specific workloads.

We have the following setup on most servers: RAID 1 ZFS Mirror LZ4 compression and disks in raw file for KVM VM. So my question is do we need to be afraid of this bug?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!