[SOLVED] ZFS pool IO when idle

elterminatore

Jun 18, 2018
hey there,

my current (test) PBS has 20 ssds in one pool with 2 raidz2 vdevs,
when the system is idle and no backup is running, there are permanently much io on the pool.

1622043829794.png

is this a normal behavior for zfs?
~800 write iops when idle?

regards
stefan

is that the rpool? in that case it may be, because of rrd/logging/etc.

do you have the ui open? certain actions/page loads on the ui can trigger some io on the datastores (e.g. the content listing)
do you have some other scheduled operations (gc/verify/sync?)

do you have the ui open? certain actions/page loads on the ui can trigger some io on the datastores (e.g. the content listing)
do you have some other scheduled operations (gc/verify/sync?)
no scheduled tasks are running during daytime. (only backups)
and yes... the UI was open and showed the datastore summary page.
when i show the dashboard, the IO is gone

take a look at the screenshot. during the time in the red frame the summary page of the datastore was shown. the peak at the right side is a normal backup task. but isn't it a little bit much IO for displaying four diagrams?
1622119941857.png

Last edited:
on the summary page, we read part of the snapshot data, my guess is that your zpool is not mounted with 'relatime' which means that everytime a file is accessed its metadata will get updated (and written to disk)
with 'relatime' the access time will only updated once a day. you can turn this on with 'zfs set relatime=on <pool>'

I thought PBS uses atime for verification-purposes (or something like that). So it is safe to enable relatime?

I thought PBS uses atime for verification-purposes (or something like that). So it is safe to enable relatime?
yes we use atime for gc, but we assume 'relatime' (thus the 24 hours + 5 min grace period) since that is the default for most ext4/xfs systems (and we should probably set it as default for zfs as well)

on the summary page, we read part of the snapshot data, my guess is that your zpool is not mounted with 'relatime' which means that everytime a file is accessed its metadata will get updated (and written to disk)
with 'relatime' the access time will only updated once a day. you can turn this on with 'zfs set relatime=on <pool>'
thanks! that did the trick :)
after turning relatime on, there is only a short disk access and permanent IO is gone.

1622130775871.png

why isn't it the defauilt behavior? or in my case because i created the zpool and datastore manually and not via the UI ?

why isn't it the defauilt behavior? or in my case because i created the zpool and datastore manually and not via the UI ?
no it is just not the zfs default, but as i said, i think we should make it the default when a pool is created with our tools...

Hmm reading up on relatime... so should we be turning this on everywhere?
if you have no application that depends on an precise atime, it should not hurt to turn on relatime. for ext4/xfs i think it is the default

if you have no application that depends on an precise atime, it should not hurt to turn on relatime. for ext4/xfs i think it is the default
Thanks,

I see it was off on the root rpool already by default.

I set atime=off for my VM pools and set relatime=on.

I left atime=on my pool that has the PBS data.

> I set atime=off for my VM pools and set relatime=on.

this is wrong @entilza , you need to set atime=on for making relatime work at all

furthermore, you can safely set atime=on and relatime=on on pbs, this will increase performance

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!