[SOLVED] ZFS on Linux Hardware Warning

VGBH

Jan 25, 2024
There is a hardware warning in the PVE Wiki about ZFS on Linux. I have a question about this warning.

Do not use ZFS on top of a hardware RAID controller which has itsown cache management. ZFS needs to communicate directly with the disks. An HBA adapter or something like an LSI controller flashed in “IT” mode is more appropriate.

I will not use a RAID Controller for ZFS and our Sever will have internal storage (vSAS SSD) but whats about this HBA adapter and LSI controller?
Am I missing something? Do I have to build in one of these cards or is this for external storage?

HBA is no RAID controller and therefore it works and is the recommended way. Often, you can flash your controller BIOS in order to have IT mode which is just a plain, stupid HBA and exactly what ZFS needs.

Thanks!
I read the manual for the Dell R750. I need one of these adapter:
HBA355I, HBA355E, H345, H745,H755, H755N, H840.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!