ZFS Installation with one hard disk

rada

Sep 5, 2017
Hello everyone! First of all, thanks for this wonderful virtualization platform and the community involved in this project. I've been using Proxmox for a few years and I'm very interested in the storage replication function.

According to documentation, I understand that this function is only available using the ZFS filesystem at root filesystem. I have only one hard disk in my server. However, at installation time, you must select the RAID array that you want.

But... what if you have only one hard disk? There is not "no RAID option", so... should I select RAID0 or RAID1? I understand that RAID needs at least two disks (and in other cases even more) and I'm also aware that with one hard disk there won't be RAID at all, but I would like to know if Proxmox may fail or any issues should arise with ZFS with one hard disk.

In short: now I'm using Proxmox with ext4 and one hard disk. Would it be possible to use Proxmox with ZFS with one hard disk as well? Should I expect compatibility, performance or integrity issues?

As I said before, I would like to use ZFS only for storage replication in order to improve our backup strategy.

Thank you so much for your help,
Radamés

Reactions: El Tebe
just use RAID 0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!