ZFS Installation: Storage Discrepancies and Overwriting Concerns

Widely0873

Feb 5, 2024
Hi,
Installed Proxmox with ZFS, choosing ZFS (RAID0) during installation with only 1 disk.

I have two storage locations, local and local-zfs, both showing 2TB. Changes in one don't impact the used space of the other. For instance, downloading an ISO to local increases it by 3G, but local-zfs remains unaffected, and vice versa.

Previously, with ext4, I had local and local-lvm. Local was 100G, local-lvm was ~1900G, making it clear I had a total of 2TB with separate space.

Is this ZFS behavior or an installation error? If I write 1TB to each local and local-zfs, will data get overwritten, despite the GUI showing each location using only 50% of its storage space?

Thanks!

Hi Widely,

It won't show up as "used storage" in the other location as this data is not used on that location.
You will see however that the total storage of the other location is lower than before.
In this case you'll see the total size of "local" in- and decreasing in size this past year due to changes on local-zfs :
1707210731980.png

Reactions: Widely0873

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!