ZFS Disk Requirement

wagabae

May 21, 2020
Hi Experts,

I would like to ask from the expert's opinion on create a ZFS pool requirement.
I have 2 2TB SSD disk and plan to create a ZFS with mirror raid.

my question is, my 2 2TB disk is in a raid controller.

is it better to have those 2TB disk is a raid controller and the same time is a mirror during the creation of ZFS?

Please enlightened me.

Thank you so much.

Recommenden would be to only use enterprise SSDs (U.2/U.3/PCIe card prefered over M.2/SATA/SAS) with built-in power-loss protection on a dumb HBA card or dumb onboard disk controller.

Consumer/Prosumer/NAS SSD and any Raid should be avoided.

See here why not to use HW raid:
https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/Performance and Tuning/Hardware.html#hardware-raid-controllers

Some HW raid controllers can be switches to HBA mode or flashed to initiator target mode (IT-mode) to completely remove any raid and additional abstraction layer and then using ZFS would be fine with those.
But not all raid controllers allow this.
Some will only present the individual disks as single disk raid0 arrays when switched to HBA mode.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!