[SOLVED] ZFS causes kernel panic after power outage

mert98

Apr 9, 2022
Hello all, I am running a Proxmox server on version 7-1.2, few days ago i have experienced a power outage which causes system to fail at boot. When i connect a monitor to display, i saw that ZFS triggers kernel panic and system boot stucks.

After that i have booted into recovery kernel, and typed zpool status it says no pools avalaible then i typed zpool import, i can see all my pools after tried to import pools manualy i saw that a single pool was causing the problem which was attached to VM. Since VM was set to start at boot decided to change it from cfg files but could not find qemu-server files under /etc/pve/.
So i decided to disable zfs autoimport from /etc/default/zfs i have also edit kernel parameters and add zfs.zfs_autoimport_disable=1and i typed systemctl disable zfs-import-cache.service and systemctl disable zfs-import@POOLNAME but still getting zfs kernel panic after rebooting and failing to boot in shell. I already reffered to this thread but no help. Are there any other suggestion for booting system up ?

Attachments

• IMG_4031.jpg
    IMG_4031.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 32
I suggest running memtest86+ to ensure your RAM didn't get damaged or anything, just in case.

Last edited:
Tried to run memtest86+ from grub menu gives me nothing but black screen. Tried to update kernel to pve-6.1 but no help.

SOLUTION: I decided to remove the disk with the problem. I tried importing all the pools manually and noticed that one of them was causing a kernel panic when using the zpool import command. So, I checked the SSD's serial number from the zpool import output and removed it from the PC. Then, I booted from the old kernel. Everything seems to be running well for now. I hope someone finds this useful.

Reactions: Max Carrara
Huh, that's interesting. Thanks for the update!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!