ZFS cachefile settings seems to change after reboot and import services return errors.

Mar 3, 2024
Hi everyone,

I have 3 ZFS pools:
- pond (mirror pool)
- tyler (single disk pool)
- backup (another single disk pool)

They all show up fine during normal usage, but I noticed errors when booting.
For example, the last boot both pond and backup failed to import.

Code:
# systemctl status zfs-import@pond.service
× zfs-import@pond.service - Import ZFS pool pond
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/zfs-import@.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2024-03-03 17:16:21 CET; 13min ago
       Docs: man:zpool(8)
    Process: 612 ExecStart=/sbin/zpool import -N -d /dev/disk/by-id -o cachefile=none pond (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
   Main PID: 612 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
        CPU: 13ms

Mar 03 17:16:20 gen10-proxmox systemd[1]: Starting zfs-import@pond.service - Import ZFS pool pond...
Mar 03 17:16:21 gen10-proxmox zpool[612]: cannot import 'pond': no such pool available
Mar 03 17:16:21 gen10-proxmox systemd[1]: zfs-import@pond.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Mar 03 17:16:21 gen10-proxmox systemd[1]: zfs-import@pond.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Mar 03 17:16:21 gen10-proxmox systemd[1]: Failed to start zfs-import@pond.service - Import ZFS pool pond.

I guess they got imported by the import-cache service because I followed the instructions here.

Code:
~# systemctl status zfs-import-cache.service
● zfs-import-cache.service - Import ZFS pools by cache file
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/zfs-import-cache.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
     Active: active (exited) since Sun 2024-03-03 17:16:35 CET; 14min ago
       Docs: man:zpool(8)
    Process: 610 ExecStart=/sbin/zpool import -c /etc/zfs/zpool.cache -aN $ZPOOL_IMPORT_OPTS (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 610 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
        CPU: 46ms

Mar 03 17:16:20 gen10-proxmox systemd[1]: Starting zfs-import-cache.service - Import ZFS pools by cache file...
Mar 03 17:16:35 gen10-proxmox zpool[610]: cannot import 'tyler': pool already exists
Mar 03 17:16:35 gen10-proxmox zpool[610]: no pools available to import
Mar 03 17:16:35 gen10-proxmox zpool[610]: cachefile import failed, retrying
Mar 03 17:16:35 gen10-proxmox systemd[1]: Finished zfs-import-cache.service - Import ZFS pools by cache file.

The output of zpool get cachefile is:

Code:
# zpool get cachefile
NAME    PROPERTY   VALUE      SOURCE
backup  cachefile  -          default
pond    cachefile  -          default
tyler   cachefile  none       local

So what's happening here? Does the zfs-import-cache service import the pool before the zfs-import@POOL_NAME.service has a chance to do it? They all seem to return an error at boot at random intervals (for a couple boots only the "backup" pool was erroring out).
What's the correct way of doing this? Should I regenerate the cachefile and then disable all the zfs-import@POOL_NAME.service services?
How can I check that the cachefile is actually set up correctly?

Thank you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!