ZFS Auto Snapshots and Scrubing

rmundel

Renowned Member
May 9, 2015
Brazil
Sup guys
I was thinking, what about offer ZFS Auto Snapshot and scrubbing via GUI with some kind of cron support?
Do you think it is worth developing that?

I was thinking, what about offer ZFS Auto Snapshot and scrubbing via GUI with some kind of cron support?
To support the configuration and execution of zpool scrub would be a nice feature. But for the auto-snapshot, this would encourage the usage as 'backup' method. And by far, snapshots are not a backup! Any damage to the storage, has the possibility to render the snapshots useless. This is best left as an advanced feature on the CLI.

Do you think it is worth developing that?
Would you like to develop the scrubbing feature?

Indeed snapshots are not backups.
But they're very handy in various cases.
Yesterday one of our clients accidentally updated without where (lol) a ton of records and because of the snapshots nobody noticed.
Some months ago we rolled back another client who got pwned by some ransomware.

About the scrubbing, I just started digging into the Proxmox Developer Documentation and experimenting some stuff.
Maybe if nobody catch me up (hope some one does lol).
Anyways, thanks!

About the scrubbing, I just started digging into the Proxmox Developer Documentation and experimenting some stuff.
Maybe if nobody catch me up (hope some one does lol).
I wanted to add, please subscribe to the pve-devel mailing list. This is our Proxmox VE development list and you are invited to send patches or start development discussions there.
https://pve.proxmox.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pve-devel

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!