ZFS arc growing without limit - pve 7.3.3, kernel 5.15.74.1

PigLover

Renowned Member
Apr 8, 2013
Over the last few days I had some odd failures and I started monitoring memory use much more closely. I've noticed that on all of my servers that do not have explicit arc limit set the ZFS arc growing to consume 100% of ram and then I start losing processes due to OOM. I don't know exactly when this started but I recently did some housekeeping and got everything updated to current versions. I believe it probably started shortly after that. All of the affected servers are running pve 7.3.3 and kernel 5.15.74.1.

Previously, arc was automatically limited to 25% of system ram on systems without an explicit arc limit. I am running a couple of machines on the 5.19 kernel but they are small servers with limited ram and I already had explicit arc limits set.

Setting a value in /sys/module/zfs/parameters/zfs_arc_max as described here to limit the arc size DOES seem to be respected and appears to fix the problem.

Hey,

could you post the output of the following two commands? That might give some more insight into the problem:
  • cat /etc/modprobe.d/zfs.conf | grep zfs_arc
  • arc_summary
Please put the output between [code][/code] tags otherwise it won't be formatted properly.

I can do that - but as I've already updated zfs.conf to force the ARC limit you won't see the condition when it was causing problems.

I'll need to find a good time to revert one of the servers and see if I can get it to reproduce.

I really offer my post as a caution to others - explicitly setting the arc_max should be considered a best practice.

Previously, arc was automatically limited to 25% of system ram on systems without an explicit arc limit.
Not sure which PVE Versions you were running, but PVE 6.X and 7.X always used 50% of RAM as default for the ARC.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!