ZFS advice for hetzner bigger boxes

kisiel

May 13, 2023
Hi.
Some time ago I took of hetzner auction a machine with 15 x 6TB HDD.
Somewhat naive (if not plain stupid) I configured it in one vdev raidz2.

auch.

it run few VM (very slow) and few LXC and some backing up for my substancial photo-library, and predictably machine is slowly dying
I even got uncorrectable error recently on one backup that was not corrected after 18 days of scrub

so there is time for changes but my budget is limited so I consider following options

take another machine like that and set it as striped 7 mirror + spare - this will give me way less space but supposedly much better performance under proxmox
I am not sure if I have other options as the space is a bit short for my needs

or go for SX134 - twice as expensive
but 10 x 16TB HDD, 2 x 960NVMe

striped 5 mirrors will give me twice the storage space comparing to the above, but I wonder what is the best option to do with those Nvme

I guess I could install proxmox on very fast nvme mirror and use it for fast VMs
or I could add the nvme to the ZFSpool of HDD as cache - though I don't really understand how it works and what would gain in a workload with few vm and few LXC

please help
if I decide for SX134 option - I simply don't want to make another stupid mistake

any ideas?

I guess for SX134 the option would be 5x16TB mirrors plus mirrored special device on those nvme

what do you think?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!