XP crash

cyberbootje

Nov 29, 2009
Hi,

I recently installed a new windows xp machine using IDE disks in proxmox.
After a couple of day's it started to give me a blue screen with something like: irq_not_less_or_equal
It happens very randomly, no pattern. One day it did a blue screen 3 times a day and another day 1 time or none at all.
I think this is driver related? is there someone who's having the same problem?

I am using proxmox 1.6, that is because i cannot get iscsi working under 1.7 in combination with the Dell MD3200I SAN, i did not test 1.8 yet but xp is kinda old so 1.6 should work i think.

Can the problem be related to bad i/o and r/w speed of the disk?
It was installed on IDE disks and did like 4.5Mbyte r/w, now converted to virtio it's doing around 50Mbyte r/w a sec but since the issue is random i cannot confirm this has fixed it.

Can the problem be related to bad i/o and r/w speed of the disk?
It was installed on IDE disks and did like 4.5Mbyte r/w, now converted to virtio it's doing around 50Mbyte r/w a sec but since the issue is random i cannot confirm this has fixed it.
Hmm,
i have no idea - perhaps. But curios is the different between ide and virtio. virtio is normaly faster (in some cases not) but not so much. Virtio has the advantage to use less cpu-power.

I use at mostly win-vms ide-driver (because activation-free updates) with good speeds.

Do you have more than one core/cpu in the win-vm? smp + win is an problem for IO (it's gone with 2.6.35 pve1.7).

Udo

I suggest you try upgrading to the latest version, there are a lot of fixes between 1.6 and 1.8.

Well, can i include a 1.8 version into an 1.6 cluster?

And the speed of the i/o, yes i can confirm that 1 cpu and IDE is pretty fast(around 13MByte p/s), but 2 cpu's with virtio is still from 23MByte to 50Mbyte p/s.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!