XenServer 5.6 PV VM migration to ProxMox KVM

evharten

Aug 12, 2011
Dear people,

How can i migrate an PV VPS to ProxMox the partitions are stored on LVM in XenServer, the VPS's are running normal kernels, but with the Xenmodules loaded, so can also be booted as a normal HW virtualisation.
Havn't seen a good way yet, but i would like to migrate to ProxMox due to the scalability and easyness of configuration.

Thanks in advance,

Evert

can´t you use clonezilla in this case?

For so far its only possible to use an CloneZilla Live CD, but i want to migrate them without much downtime ;)
And with CloneZilla i've got to shut the whole VM down, other ways would be to shut, copy, and start it again, and then in the meantime process the copy

Tested, but cant boot the LiveCD due to that this server doesnt have the HW Virt Extensions, so it can only run PV mode VM's ;)

No one has a suggestion on this ? would be strange, would have guessed at least someone would have done the same issue :)

What I did was making an lvm snapshot of the Xen PV host root partition, mount it somewhere and do an rsync to the Proxmox server, into an OpenVZ container. Depending on the OS running in Xen, you might need to fix a few things to make it start. I had some problems with Ubuntu 9.x and 10.x but eventually fixed them all. For HVM instalnces I moved the virtual HDD to Proxmox with my favourite bare-metal backup/restore tool using a saved image, and they worked without problems and with only network adjustments, using IDE disks and e1000 network adapter. Since you don't use HVM I'd suggest the OpenVZ way or copy the image with any method that works, like dd through ssh or even nc as suggested. You might need to fix the boot setup and maybe the kernel, but that can be done easily from a Linux rescue CD.

You cannot use HVM on Proxmox since it only supports KVM. But the latter part of my post is still relevant - I'd suggest to read it again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!