[SOLVED] Workaround to use qemu-user-agent without guest-fsfreeze ?

godzilla

May 20, 2021
Hi all,

I think we're all aware of the the issue with the snapshot backup locking the guest FS with fsfreeze and not being able to thaw the FS, resulting in a completely locked VM. It's been discussed many times in and out of this forum.

I don't know if there is any progress in fixing the very root of the problem, however I'd like to know if Proxmox could implement a kind of workaround allowing us to keep the guest agent enabled but disabling the fsfreeze call on backups.

qemu-guest-agent has so many more useful features, it's often a lifesaver, and it's a pity you need to have it completely disabled because of a problem that at the moment seems not to have a solution.

Any feedback on this? Thank you

Can you point at such issues?
Do you run the latest kernel versions? As far as I know the only issue we had recently was with `io_uring` in combination with DBs running in VMs.
But this should be fixed for a while now and only affected kernel 5.15 until 5.15.64 or so.

Hi @mira, thanks for replying.

I'm currently running PVE 7.2-1 on kernel 5.13.19-6-pve, because of another issue I had, which impacted live migrate of VMs between different CPUs. I'm unsure if I can safely upgrade PVE to 7.3 and/or update the kernel to the latest version (I'd be happy to do, btw).

The problem is: sometimes, when qemu-guest-agent is active and running on the guest VM, the backup task executes the fs-freeze on the guest FS as expected, but the fs-thaw never happens.

I noticed it happens specifically with CentOS guests. No freeze hooks are involved.

Also I can't effectively reproduce the issue, for some odd reason it doesn't happen if I request the fsfreeze directly using qm, e.g.:

Code:
qm guest cmd <vmid> fsfreeze-freeze
qm guest cmd <vmid> fsfreeze-thaw

Any clue/suggestion?

Thank you!

Attachments

• pveversion-px19.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 1
Do you use `io_uring` or a different Async I/O mode?
Do you still see the same issue with the latest kernel 5.15 or 5.19/6.1?

Do you use `io_uring` or a different Async I/O mode?
Do you still see the same issue with the latest kernel 5.15 or 5.19/6.1?
Hi @mira

Yes, I use io_uring by default. Better using another I/O mode?

I can't test with different kernel at the moment, unless I'm sure the live migrate bug described in this thread is fixed. I'd like to do but I can't. Do you know anything about that?

Thank you!

Both kernel 5.19 and kernel 6.1 should not be affected by the live migration issues. But you won't be able to live migrate from 5.13 to 5.19/6.1. A shutdown and start will be necessary.
If you have issues with fsfreeze, then yes, please, switch to `aio` or `threads` instead of `io_uring` until you can upgrade to a newer kernel.

Please also note that 5.13 hasn't received any fixes in a long time. It most likely is affected by multiple security vulnerabilities.

Hi @mira ,

thanks a lot! We're planning to upgrade to Proxmox VE 7.3 soon, so we'll take the opportunity to upgrade the kernel as well.

I'm marking the thread as [SOLVED].

Hi @mira ,

just to inform you that a VM with `threads` Async I/O and VirtIO SCSI Single controller just froze in the same way during the backup.

Sorry that didn't help.

Was that still on kernel 5.13?

Hi @mira ,

you said I will not be able to live migrate VMs from nodes running kernel 5.13 to nodes running kernel 5.19.

What if I update the kernel in steps, e.g. 5.13 -> 5.15 -> 5.19 ?

Thank you

Last edited:
Also, what if I pause a VM and then resume it on the new node? it's always better than stop/start.

Migration from 5.13 to 5.19 might work. I don't think anyone has tested it though.
But 5.13 to 5.15 and 5.15 to 5.19 won't work since 5.15 has incompatible changes.

Hi @mira ,

I successfully migrated to Proxmox 7.3 & kernel 5.19.17-2-pve. Everything went smoothly, including live-migrations.

Unfortunately, though, the original issue still happens with CentOS 7.9 guests.

Any clue?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!