Wiped windows os and everything on the pc that could be erased. Drivers all that.

gitdown57

Feb 25, 2024
Hoped to acquire Virtualization skills on my laptop, host OS windows 11 home
1. Three usb flash drives until I got one that "allegedly" downloaded the iso properly. I used Rufus to format the flash drive and used copilot AI for questions about the process.
•first usb: 32G download wouldn't even begin and before trying to start I started getting error messages
•second usb: 32G download seemed to be working but I got error messages referencing the previous attempt and for some reason they referred to the flash drive as D and not E as it had initially referred to it..so the download got all the way to 99 percent and then an error message popped up about something being too big. So I figured (since I was basically doing a glorified version of winging it) maybe I need a smaller usb
•third usb: 8G download started was moving right along and I got another error message referring to one of the previous attempts and this time it referred to the previously used drive as F and I wondered why is the system still referencing tasks that have been closed and moved on from while its in the middle of a new task? Wtf right? I assumed it was referring to the previous attempts because the third attempt download went right along and ended up completing and I dont remember everything because it all felt so sketchy at that point and I was worried about my pc..which I seem to have completely f^&#$d. So the iso downloaded to the drive and I got another error message or maybe 2 but it said complete so I went with it. I followed through the next steps and installed proxmox and after the installation I noticed that I was in what I believe was the alpine terminal? Ya? And I had the message to go configure the rest of it at the listed IP but I couldn't do it from my laptop the terminal was taking up the entire screen..now the rest of the details would prove redundant as they would just be my guidelines blind trudge through a completely foreign os all to come to the conclusion that..I think I erased windows lost all my data and but I did manage to configure in the gui from..ha my cell phone because that was my only other means of accessing a web browser..yeah I have no web browser accessible in my laptop I went back and switched the boot order just to see if I could boot back into it and I ran a systemctl something cmd and there was nothing windowsy listed in the drives...so...I do keep seeing stuff about removing the other drives that aren't being used..how do u do that with a laptop? And when it have the warning about everything will be erased I thought it meant the flash drive..but I don't know if the flash drive qas even inserted at the point that I remember seing that..I dunno it socks I was just going to reinstall it but I'll wait and see if this produces any results..I'm a no subscription queer so I know responses are not timely..they said user friendly ...and I cam tell that in the computer scope of things it definitely is but I'm that green im almost 36 and just now trying to learn this stuff ..I'm down to learn all day and am willing to try whatever you guys might suggest..I really want my laptop back so I mean even if I can just build a vm to get some semblance of familiarity and experience back that'd be great..I miss my microsoft 365 lol

Hoped to acquire Virtualization skills on my laptop, host OS windows 11 home

1. Three usb flash drives until I got one that "allegedly" downloaded the iso properly. I used Rufus to format the flash drive and used copilot AI for questions about the process.

•first usb: 32G download wouldn't even begin and before trying to start I started getting error messages

•second usb: 32G download seemed to be working but I got error messages referencing the previous attempt and for some reason they referred to the flash drive as D and not E as it had initially referred to it..so the download got all the way to 99 percent and then an error message popped up about something being too big. So I figured (since I was basically doing a glorified version of winging it) maybe I need a smaller usb

•third usb: 8G download started was moving right along and I got another error message referring to one of the previous attempts and this time it referred to the previously used drive as F and I wondered why is the system still referencing tasks that have been closed and moved on from while its in the middle of a new task? Wtf right? I assumed it was referring to the previous attempts because the third attempt download went right along and ended up completing and I dont remember everything because it all felt so sketchy at that point and I was worried about my pc..which I seem to have completely f^&#$d.

So why not just download the ISO prior?

So the iso downloaded to the drive and I got another error message or maybe 2 but it said complete so I went with it. I followed through the next steps and installed proxmox and after the installation I noticed that I was in what I believe was the alpine terminal? Ya?

You have not specified error messages, neither how you in the end installed PVE. A screenshot might have helped too.

And I had the message to go configure the rest of it at the listed IP but I couldn't do it from my laptop the terminal was taking up the entire screen..

What do you mean?

now the rest of the details would prove redundant as they would just be my guidelines blind trudge through a completely foreign os all to come to the conclusion that..

I am confused too now.

I think I erased windows lost all my data

What did you think you had been doing prior to this realisation?

and but I did manage to configure in the gui from..ha my cell phone because that was my only other means of accessing a web browser..

Yes, you need another computer to access the Web interface. Unless you install PVE itself as a VM or you are installing it on top of regular Debian Linux (you could possibly dual boot that with Windows).

yeah I have no web browser accessible in my laptop

Yes.

I went back and switched the boot order just to see if I could boot back into it and I ran a systemctl something cmd and there was nothing windowsy listed in the drives

Yes.

...so...I do keep seeing stuff about removing the other drives that aren't being used..how do u do that with a laptop?

You need to describe your expected vs actual situation in more precise terms.

And when it have the warning about everything will be erased I thought it meant the flash drive..

No.

but I don't know if the flash drive qas even inserted at the point that I remember seing that..

One would suppose during an install, the flash drive indeed was inserted.

I dunno it socks I was just going to reinstall it but I'll wait and see if this produces any results..

Reinstall what? You are able to run commands in the shell, sounds like your install was successful.

I'm a no subscription queer so I know responses are not timely..

You are lucky.

they said user friendly ...

GUI

and I cam tell that in the computer scope of things it definitely is but I'm that green im almost 36 and just now trying to learn this stuff ..

No worries.

I'm down to learn all day and am willing to try whatever you guys might suggest..I really want my laptop back so I mean even if I can just build a vm to get some semblance of familiarity and experience back that'd be great..I miss my microsoft 365 lol

You would need to install Windows somehow, somewhere again. Probably on the laptop itself. And then to experiment you may want to ISO install the PVE into a virtual machine running on that. Or install PVE on a separate hardware, an old desktop would do and access the Web GUI via web browser from your Windows laptop.

PS2 You might want to edit your title to something like "Wanted to dual boot PVE with Windows" and you might get more replies from others who have attempted that. I don't know how viable that is, I believe the os-prober is gone from default PVE install (i.e. it just will not dual boot). In your case, however, you had wiped your drives, apparently.

If you want to attempt to "recover" your Windows installation on your laptop, (this may be possible to a certain degree, recovery disk, recovery partition etc.), you may want to look to more "Windows OS" centric forums. Start by googling your problems.

If you want to attempt to "recover" your Windows installation on your laptop, (this may be possible to a certain degree, recovery disk, recovery partition etc.), you may want to look to more "Windows OS" centric forums. Start by googling your problems.
I am afraid he had wiped their entire primary drive and most laptops would come with only that. OP would need to mention more about what he installed it onto and their drive layout.

Reactions: gfngfn256
1) "read before" is the base,
at least there is YouTube.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Installation
2) Etcher is recommended instead Rufus.
3) pve can't be installed on usb key.
Dual boot is for Advanced user, the easy way is to install to ssd/hdd within an usb enclosure.
4) Don't write what you think, but only the facts and the precise errors.

Last edited:
Reactions: gitdown57
Holy hell I hadn't anticipated such...timely responses! Thanks everybody, we'll its almost 4 AM here and I really need a Z or 2
I suppose this issue im having is going to take me a while so tomorrow...I reckon. I could use my left over 700 some Gigs to reinstall windows...windows does appear in the bios but when I try to boot to it it takes me to a Linux page that says boot reset and a countdown so I mean is there anyway to get an isolated of the windows image that came pre-installed since its still in the bios...probably should be another thread rigjt? Anyway thanks again il be back after some sleep...and I'll add some screenshots

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!