WINXP best practise for GPU setting and RDP use

lalex86

Jul 25, 2017
Hi,

what nowadays the setting for a WINXP GUEST graphic card in Proxmox 8.0 that best perfome when used with RDP?

YES, I KNOW WINXP is a PREISTORIC and UNSUPPORTED OS ....BUT we have many old application running (only) on it and at now budget/time do not allow to rewrite all of them.

I tried these settings:
- setting DEFAULT or STANDARD VGA in Proxmox: WinXP Device Manager report yellow exclamation "Video controller (VGA compatible) => poor performance (can i install some driver to avoid exclamation?)
- setting VMWARE COMPATIBLE in Promox: what driver to install in the WinXP guest? I didn't find it
- setting SPICE in Proxmox: i was able to install the QXL driver in the WinXP guest but RDP performance is poor and, after installing virtio guest agent 1.132-1, i'm not able to connect with Virt Viewer.

Some suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Alessandro

Hi,

what nowadays the setting for a WINXP GUEST graphic card in Proxmox 8.0 that best perfome when used with RDP?

YES, I KNOW WINXP is a PREISTORIC and UNSUPPORTED OS ....BUT we have many old application running (only) on it and at now budget/time do not allow to rewrite all of them.

I tried these settings:
- setting DEFAULT or STANDARD VGA in Proxmox: WinXP Device Manager report yellow exclamation "Video controller (VGA compatible) => poor performance (can i install some driver to avoid exclamation?)
- setting VMWARE COMPATIBLE in Promox: what driver to install in the WinXP guest? I didn't find it
- setting SPICE in Proxmox: i was able to install the QXL driver in the WinXP guest but RDP performance is poor and, after installing virtio guest agent 1.132-1, i'm not able to connect with Virt Viewer.

Some suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Alessandro
You want to install the virtio_win drivers then use virtio_gpu for display .

for best exp, you can do gpu pass-through using windows xp
I used GT 730
on a motherboard with V-td support
enable IOMMU in grub
for detailed explanation, look for an online guide for gpu pass-through in proxmox

Last edited:
afaik, xp/2003 as rdp host can't use gpu acceleration.
gpu acceleration for rdp host was available with Vista/2008.

Last edited:
Reactions: ansul
well.. I am running a 3D flight simulation on windows xp guest and using nvidia GT 730(last gpu available in market which supports windows xp) .. I have attached a monitor to the display output of GPU (HDMI)
now as for a remote desktop ,
I tried using RDP which sucks
but VNC has a decent performance but still no good for graphical work

for the best experience .. you should connect a monitor to the physical display port

the yellow triangle error in the installed driver list was the main problem while setting up above said conf. but I got rid of it somehow ..

I am a newbie in proxmox world so can't explain it in great details
but I think that error could be resolved only by utilizing complete GPU functions i.e (set primary GPU and all function option true in proxmox with no virtual display adapter)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!