Windows VM backup too large

glennbtn

Renowned Member
Mar 12, 2010
Hi All hoping someone can help here.

We have a windows vm that has a hard drive size of 1TB. The size of the C drive on the vm it's self is usually around 400gb and the backups have been fine. A few weeks back someone added a load of large files on the server increasing the Windows storage to around 900gb full. This data was removed and we are back to around 400gb but the back is still around 900gb.

How can I get this back down again as the backup takes an age. I did read about enabling Discard on the VM hard drive (VM > Hardware > Hard Disk > check discard) but if I look at this option it's greyed out.

Any advise would be great as it's driving me nuts LOL

Thanks

Glenn

How can I get this back down again as the backup takes an age. I did read about enabling Discard on the VM hard drive (VM > Hardware > Hard Disk > check discard) but if I look at this option it's greyed out.
You'll need to have all domino's in line for trim/discard to work. Maybe your storage does not support it? Maybe the virtual disk controller does not support it? Please share the VM configuration file (qm config VM-NR).

ok thanks

Here we go

Code:
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 2
description: Windows 2012 server%0A10.10.1.10%0AAAS02
ide2: cdrom,media=cdrom
ide3: local:iso/virtio-win-0.1-81.iso,media=cdrom,size=72406K
memory: 32768
name: server2012
net0: e1000=5A:0B:84:AE:6E:06,bridge=vmbr0
onboot: 1
ostype: win8
sockets: 2
virtio0: local-zfs:vm-102-disk-0,size=1000G

After more digging I found a suggestion to try and get the blocks back to Zero

cipher /w:C

Still huge backup

Can anyone help?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!