Windows Server VM booting problem

kiklp

Jan 26, 2024
Hi,

I have a fresh install of proxmox ve in a host machine which I am using to test if I can migrate VMs from our VMWare community environment to PVE. I have migrated a 2012 server VM to pve using OVFTools (tutorial used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jCEe4sfe_g ). After restoring the VM in ths host, I have corrected the OS type to match windows server 2012, checkmarked Qemu agent, selected the SCSI controller MegaRAID (reason I use megaraid is if i select any other controller, none of them won't even boot up the VM)
Now, when I turn on the VM, it boots up and after a long time, then it gets stuck at the point "Working on updates, 35% complete", and it won't move past this even after waiting for a whole day. I have checked that there is plenty of disk space in the host machine and the storage where the VM is restored. I have tried force restarting it, but no use there too. Also looked in the pv logs but couldn't find anything relevant (unless there's a specific file I should be looking in and missed?)
I can see that when I restored an Ubuntu VM, it worked fine if that helps. Thanks

Attachments

• pv options.png
    pv options.png
    44.5 KB · Views: 5
  • pv hardware.png
    pv hardware.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 5
  • pv disk file.png
    pv disk file.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 4
  • pv image files.png
    pv image files.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 5
Fixed. ✅
Solution: Migrated the VMS without using the scripts mentioned in the link, and did it manually by exporting vmdk from VMWare, copying it to pve host, converted the vmdk file to qcow2, created a new vm in pve host, connected the qcow disk to new vm, made sure the cpu type of new vm is selected as "host". Booted up just fine.
Follow better tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crLmwAqHzQ8

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!