Windows C Drive can't extented

abakisensoy

Feb 11, 2022
Hi,

I use VirtIO SCSI and when I resize the disk I can't extend the C drive. Only can create a second drive with free space.

1644589558445.png

How can I extend C drive?

Hi there,

You need to move that little partition to the end of the disk first (use a third party software for this), and then you can expand the main partition.

Hope that it helped you.

Best regards.

Hi there,

You need to move that little partition to the end of the disk first (use a third party software for this), and then you can expand the main partition.

Hope that it helped you.

Best regards.

It's a rescue partition 523MB :( . Which program do you reccomend_?

It's a rescue partition 523MB :( . Which program do you reccomend_?
Hi @abakisensoy,

In this scenario, I usually use GParted live disk (ISO, CD, USB or whatever - you can download it from their website: https://gparted.org/) or any live Linux distro with a GUI. There are other tools that you can install in Microsoft Windows itself, like Minitool Partition Editor, Paragon Partition Manager, EaseUS Partition Manager and a lot of other solutions, but I prefer the opensource ones (instead of installing on a server). Anyway, whatever you choose, it will help you with this problem.

Also, as it is a recovery partition (not critical and not mounted), you probably can do it online with one of those Windows tools (my choice, over those, would be Minitool - all of those have "community" editions). You make all necessary steps (move the recovery partition and then resize the other) and apply, simple as that.

Best regards.

I just did this today completely in Windows (with just MS tools already installed). Just google for "remove recovery partition" in you language, its easy and you don't normally need a recovery partion in a virtualized environment.

I just did this today completely in Windows (with just MS tools already installed). Just google for "remove recovery partition" in you language, its easy and you don't normally need a recovery partion in a virtualized environment.

Thank you. I solved my issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!