windows 2008 server netcard problem

Chow

Apr 28, 2008
Hi,

Installed windows 2008 as a guest. I don't seem to be able to get the netcard installed however.. Tried all the cards mentioned but no one is recognized by windows.. Do I need a specific driver? And if so which one??

Thnx in advance..

Hi,

Installed windows 2008 as a guest. I don't seem to be able to get the netcard installed however.. Tried all the cards mentioned but no one is recognized by windows.. Do I need a specific driver? And if so which one??

Thnx in advance..

Hi,

just use the default rtl8139 - this worked here always without any problem.
which version of win 2008 do you try? I tested with the final version of win 2008.

Using Windows 2008 Web Edition Final.. It doesn't seem to recognize the rtl8139..

Using Windows 2008 Web Edition Final.. It doesn't seem to recognize the rtl8139..

hi,

I will try the web edition here.

see this screenshot from my win2008 guest.

Attachments

• win_2008_guest.png
    win_2008_guest.png
    186.4 KB · Views: 18
Ok, I see what I did wrong.. I installed the guest with the wrong NIC. It didn't recognize the NIC. So I deleted the NIC from the devicemanager and changed the NIC setting in proxmox. After that I rebooted the guest in order to pickup the new NIC. It seems that doesn't work.

Now I reinstalled the whole VPS with rtl8139 immediately and that works. So changing afterwards doesn't seem to work..

Ok, I see what I did wrong.. I installed the guest with the wrong NIC. It didn't recognize the NIC. So I deleted the NIC from the devicemanager and changed the NIC setting in proxmox. After that I rebooted the guest in order to pickup the new NIC. It seems that doesn't work.

Now I reinstalled the whole VPS with rtl8139 immediately and that works. So changing afterwards doesn't seem to work..

ok, thanks for update.

FYI, KVM supports already paravirtualization for winxp and win2003. I assume a driver for windows 2008 will follow soon.

Hi, just to mention: When I try to upload the ISO for the KVM network driver as per the hints in this thread, the web-gui complains, telling me that it cannot recognize the template extension. So it doesn't upload the ISO file

I have been able to directly use WinSCP to dump the small ISO image into the appropriate dir (/var/lib/vz/....etc...) where iso template data resides, and then the file appears / is available to use as a 'virtual cdrom device' - so that is fine.

Just wanted to mention, there is maybe a bug, or something ?

---Tim Chipman

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!