Windows 2003 Migration : BSOD 0x0000007B (0xF884EA98,0xC0000034,0x00000000

tig

Feb 10, 2011
Hi All,

I am attempting to migrate a Win2k3 AD server to KVM, I am using the instructions on the wiki for fsarchiver as I am shrinking the drive size down from 120G to 15G (there is only about 8G in use).

I ran the mergeide.reg fix before creating the image, the image created fine and restored with no errors in either the creating or restore.

I created a KVM VM with the following hardware :
1 CPU Socket
1 Core
512Mb RAM
VIRTIO Bus VIRTIO 0:0 Device 15GB stored locally in RAW format
IDE CD ROM drive
3x e1000 NICs in bridged mode with the original server MAC addresses on it.

I created the partition in gparted (initially I had not set the boot flag but applied that and later the lvm flag as some of the success stories seemed to imply it was needed.

When I boot from an Ubuntu CD I can access the drive fine but I have just discovered that a 2k3 recovery console cannot see the drive. From this I can assume that I have chosen the incorrect hardware somewhere.

I am running Proxmox 1.5. Any thoughts?

In addition to mergeide.reg, you'll need to add intelide.sys (or something like that) to the volume's /windows/system32 directory. At least I think that solved it for me... Google "mergeide.reg intelide.sys" and you should find something... There might be another file you need to add, too.

In addition to mergeide.reg, you'll need to add intelide.sys (or something like that) to the volume's /windows/system32 directory. At least I think that solved it for me... Google "mergeide.reg intelide.sys" and you should find something... There might be another file you need to add, too.

Thanks obrienmd, I saw that in the MSKB article and I checked from the live CD and Atapi.sys, Intelide.sys, Pciide.sys, and Pciidex.sys are all present. :confused:

I would overwrite them with the versions stored in the .cab but I can't find the Drivers.cab file on 2k3.

Any other ideas before I start making a new image? Does the virtual hardware look ok?

Thanks!

Hurrah it lives!

In case anyone has done the same, you can swap to an IDE disk without having to re-image etc, simply stop the VM, remove the hard drive from the virtual machine. The drive image will still be there, then add a new drive and in the bottom panel you can create a drive from an existing disk image (or similar language) and use IDE as the bus type. Fire up the VM and it should all just work.

Many thanks all :) :p

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!