Windows 2003. Cannot shutdown the servers from the command line

rgproxmox1

Feb 4, 2013
I have several Windows 2003 servers that have been created from scratch (as opposed to other issues I'm having with VMs converted from Hyper-V) that have the same issue:

When you try to shutdown / restart the VM from the command line, I get: "The computer is processing another action and thus cannot be shut down. Wait until the computer has finished its action, and then try again.(21)"

I've made sure I've applied all the recommended changes for W2003 guests listed in the Proxmox wiki, but nothing. If you try to search for this issue in the Internet, you'll find mostly references to problems when you don't close the console properly (doesn't apply to the scenarios I have) and a hotfix for that problem that several people say that it doesn't work.

Has anybody run into this? Maybe in an XP server? Any configuration change that can be applied that you guys know of?

Thanks!

When you try to shutdown / restart the VM from the command line, I get: "The computer is processing another action and thus cannot be shut down. Wait until the computer has finished its action, and then try again.(21)"

Which command line / switches are you actually using here ?

we've always used either: "shutdown -t 0 -r", or "shutdown -t 0 -s", which works for every non-Proxmox server. I've tried even the "/" version of them: "shutdown /t 0 /r" and same result. I know that all the VMs where it happens are Proxmox VMs that were installed from scratch and haven't seen it in other servers. It doesn't happen in a subset of Proxmox VMs, but I haven't been able to establish what's different about them.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!