Windows 11 GPU passthru works but using "VMware Compatible" mangles Console output and VM refuses to boot

EpicLPer

Sep 7, 2022
Austria
epiclper.com
Heya,

I'm having a bit of a weird issue. I've recently added a GPU to my test-server passed through to a Windows 11 machine, everything works just fine as long as I use the Display setting "Default" or "None". However once I set the Display to "VMware compatible" everything seems to break. The VM doesn't boot anymore, BIOS/UEFI and the Windows loading circle still come up but after a few seconds the console output completely mangles/corrupts itself and it seems to get stuck there. The VM doesn't seem to boot beyond that anymore, occasionally it does but I can't get a connection via TeamViewer or similar then as it's just in an endless connection attempt.

I've done the same setup on another server with the same GPU, everything works just fine there. I get a Console output plus hardware acceleration inside the VM just fine.

Is there any other setting I have to try? I don't really need Console output and can just change the Display setting in case I need to go into recovery or something else, so it's mainly just for my own interest to see if I can get it working :)

Current VM config:
Code:
agent: 1,fstrim_cloned_disks=1
bios: ovmf
boot: order=scsi0
cores: 8
cpu: host
efidisk0: local-zfs:vm-900-disk-2,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=1M
hostpci0: 0000:01:00.0,pcie=1,x-vga=1
hostpci1: 0000:01:00.1,pcie=1
machine: q35
memory: 8192
name: Win11Desktop
net0: virtio=XXXXX,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
scsi0: local-zfs:vm-900-disk-0,discard=on,iothread=1,size=80G,ssd=1
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=XXXXX
sockets: 1
tpmstate0: local-zfs:vm-900-disk-1,size=4M,version=v2.0
vmgenid: XXXXX

Thanks!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!