Windows 10 reset issue within Proxmox

Jsirdi

Jul 3, 2023
Hi

Has anyone else had any problems with resetting a windows 10 vm, ie allow it to boot back to the OOBE?

Everytime I try to reset, Windows will just boot to recovery after its auto reboot and it will not perform a reset as it fails too.

Testing with latest win10 22h2 June cu iso and tried previous months too with the same result, only see this issue with a vm hosted within proxmox :/

Thanks
James

Same issue, have not found a solution for it. Ended had to spin up a hyper-v box to get an autopilot lab going.

Hello, I too have been struggling to get a Win10 client to properly reset. I suspected that the VirtIO drivers were related to this, and found success by building a win10 VM using selections not tied to the VirtIO drivers set.

BIOS = OVMF (UEFI)
Chipset = PC-i440fx
DISK = SATA
ETH = E1000

With this setup, I stood up a new VM, booted into Windows as a business user. I used my admin creds for the first login, got the device associated with InTune, placed it into my AutoPilot group, and then issues an AutoPilot reset from InTune MDM.

If you have your AutoPilot policies properly targeting a group, when you complete the AP reset, the device will join your AzureAD tenant as an autopilot device without having to manually capture and upload the hash. A big improvement in the process.

I just solved this reset issue today, and look forward to using the proxmox win10 clients for rapid reset and heavy hitting as we iron out the last kinks in our work from anywhere MDM / Deployment solution.

Still requires that laptops are shipped to HQ for these steps, but this takes MUCH less time than imaging and deployment traditionally do. We hope to have our hardware supplier start to provide hashes into our tenant soon, but that has been harder to get delivered than I thought it would be. The major manufacturers don't seem to be well positioned to leverage this yet, I hope they are soon. Drop shipping devices would be GREAT.

Another thing to be aware of.

By default, the Serial number is not present in the BIOS data. Edit the BIOS data before you boot up, and set a unique serial. If you don't do this, you get a SMB_BIOS_VAL_0 another null pointer for the autopilot joined devices hardware, in the autopilot devices page.

Re-testing the autopilot reset from InTune to bring them in with a unique string for serial now.

Hello, I too have been struggling to get a Win10 client to properly reset. I suspected that the VirtIO drivers were related to this, and found success by building a win10 VM using selections not tied to the VirtIO drivers set.

BIOS = OVMF (UEFI)
Chipset = PC-i440fx
DISK = SATA
ETH = E1000

With this setup, I stood up a new VM, booted into Windows as a business user. I used my admin creds for the first login, got the device associated with InTune, placed it into my AutoPilot group, and then issues an AutoPilot reset from InTune MDM.

If you have your AutoPilot policies properly targeting a group, when you complete the AP reset, the device will join your AzureAD tenant as an autopilot device without having to manually capture and upload the hash. A big improvement in the process.

I just solved this reset issue today, and look forward to using the proxmox win10 clients for rapid reset and heavy hitting as we iron out the last kinks in our work from anywhere MDM / Deployment solution.

Still requires that laptops are shipped to HQ for these steps, but this takes MUCH less time than imaging and deployment traditionally do. We hope to have our hardware supplier start to provide hashes into our tenant soon, but that has been harder to get delivered than I thought it would be. The major manufacturers don't seem to be well positioned to leverage this yet, I hope they are soon. Drop shipping devices would be GREAT.
1709845007628.png
thanks for the response this definetely seems to be working

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!