Why my CEPH is so slow?

Jul 4, 2022
Poland
Hi there.

So I went thru many, many posts on this forum but I cannot find some working solution for my CEPH.

Here is my configuration

Cluster and ceph operate on one 10G network, VMs use separate 1G networks
I have 3 nodes setup where each physical machine has 256GB of RAM (usage max 70%)
For OSDs I use NVMe 2TB drives (I have 5 in total but for tests I've added only 3 of them)

I moved one VM to CEPH storage to check read and write speeds and I'm bit shocked how slow it is. Read about 133MB/s and write about 30MB/s

I have the most recent version of ceph 18.2 and proxmox 8.1.4

What am I doing wrong? Please :)

Hello, could you please share with us

- The bits relevant to the Ceph network in `/etc/network/interfaces`?
- The contents of /etc/pve/ceph.conf
- The model of the OSDs
- The output of the command `ceph osd df tree`
- The VM config at /etc/pve/qemu-server/<VMID>.conf` used for testing if you used a VM for testing

Last edited:
Code:
TCP window size:  102 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[  1] local 192.168.98.52 port 33414 connected with 192.168.98.53 port 5001 (icwnd/mss/irtt=14/1448/63)
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  1] 0.0000-10.0301 sec  10.2 GBytes  8.72 Gbits/sec

Enterprise SSDs, so Intel,Micron,Samsung,Kioxia(ex Toshiba), so the ones that you know are suitable for enterprise, and in short won't fry fast.

Please note that for an enterprise SSD we understand a disk that has power-loss protection, there might be a few exceptions but it works well enough as a rule of thumb.

Many brands offer those. Unfortunately, there are disks without PLP branded as enterprise in the market.

Yes,there are some NAS ssd's with PLP, if i'm not mistaken old seagate ones, but usually look for PLP drives.

Please note that for an enterprise SSD we understand a disk that has power-loss protection, there might be a few exceptions but it works well enough as a rule of thumb.

Many brands offer those. Unfortunately, there are disks without PLP branded as enterprise in the market.
I just ordered SAMSUNG PM983 with PLP, it's 1.3 DPWD tho. I couldn't find any m.2 drive with 3-5.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!