Why did my Proxmox VE randomly disconnect and stay disconnected?

Dabugsta99

Apr 20, 2024
Hi, all! I've had my PVE up for maybe 4 or 5 months. Last night I noticed I couldn't access it anymore. I figured it was just rebooting or doing something strange. Well, now that I'm investigating, I have no idea what's wrong. Keep in mind, I am newer at this, but nothing changed, except it's not working now lol. It is plugged in over Ethernet and when I reboot it isn't even recognized. My router just noted that "server" disconnected at 23:05.

I've rebooted the PVE computer, unplugged ethernet, tried different ports (keep in mind, everything was working 2 days ago), rebooting my router, etc. I can't SSH in, I can't access via web. I can't ping google on the PVE device.

Any help with getting this back online? I realize there's not a lot of information here, but I'm willing to hash it out with someone if they'd help :)

Last edited:
First, connect a display+keyboad to see what is going on. Having a look at the system log using the journalctl command would help as well as ip a.

Thanks for the suggestion! Sorry for the late reply! Here's the error that it's giving me (repeatedly, assumedly due to retrying):
"CIFS: VFS: \\[ip address]\data BAD_NETWORK_NAME: \\[ip address]\data
CIFS: VFS: reconnect tcon failed rc = -2

NFS: state manager: check lease failed on NFSv4 server [ip address] with error 13
NFS: state manager: check lease failed on NFSv4 server [ip address] with error 13"

And then repeats. Every so often throwing in "'data' is not online"

Last edited:
Update for anyone who finds this later on: SOMEHOW, my "bridge doesn't have any bridge ports configured." My solution ended up being: Running nano /etc/network/interfaces and replace "none" with "eno1". Somehow they got disconnected! Just rebooted the system and it's working :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!