Whitelisting of an e-mail address is still quarantined

Sep 17, 2020
Hello All,

I'm hoping to insure that I understand the method I am using is the "right way" to whitelist an email address and that I understand the process correctly.

I go through these steps to configure my whitelisting:
- Mail Filter -> Who objects-> Whitelist -> add E-Mail -> Save lets say NoReply@TheReportCo.com

This global whitelist has a list of either domains, ip addresses or e-mail addresses.

Under Mail-Filter are my rules and they are shown in rules.png attached, bottom line is whitelists come after block dangerous files, block viruses and virus alert.

Unfortunately these messages show up in quarantine for multiple people, which is why we whitelisted at the top level.
Please let me know if there is a different, better or correct way to accomplish the goal.

Thank you!

Attachments

• rules.png
    rules.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 30
Who object refer to Return-Path: in the email (refer to the email raw format). Does it match with your rules?

Hello @hata_ph ,

In the case of these emails the return path is different, and I'm assuming (bad thing) that the return path is what the object is being compared to based on your writing.
Are you saying this has to be setup as a from rule?

I believe that if you ProxMox says whitelist an email address, it should be based on the from.
Everything can't be this additional step.
Keep things simple for the user, and behind the scene look for the from or the reply to insure that the simple block or allow email from John@Abc.com simply works.

@MiamiJack

If you want to whitelist an email address, try Configuration -> Mail Proxy -> Whitelist.

For mail filters, using who object it will refer to Return-Path: either using the emails, domains or regex.

1619397691056.png

For what object to match the from email field, use what object -> match field. I do know To, From and subject field work.

1619397591853.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!