Which PVE kernel is most stable?

Tony

Renowned Member
Nov 4, 2010
Hi,

from http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_Kernel and relevant posts in the forum, I have the feeling is that 2.6.18 is the most stable. Is that true? If yes, why 2.6.32 is installed as default for PVE 1.7?

Is kvm support in pve-2.6.18 kernel as good as in the 2.6.18 branch for RHEL5/Centos5? If I run kvm VMs only, would a centos server be more stable than PVE?

thanks,
Tony

Hi,

from http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_Kernel and relevant posts in the forum, I have the feeling is that 2.6.18 is the most stable. Is that true? If yes, why 2.6.32 is installed as default for PVE 1.7?

depends what you need. 2.6.18 is the only with stable OpenVZ.

Is kvm support in pve-2.6.18 kernel as good as in the 2.6.18 branch for RHEL5/Centos5? If I run kvm VMs only, would a centos server be more stable than PVE?

thanks,
Tony

Our 2.6.18 Kernel is based on the RHEL5 sources.

When default installed kernel was 2.6.18 I had a lot of troubles with hardware not recognized and so failed installation or first reboot. I'm happy the default is 2.6.32 (would be much better if I could choose 2.6.35 also as an install option, just in case...) since it recognizes much more hardware and "downgrade" to 2.6.18 is always possible (and if does not boot, just select 2.6.32 in grub). Also consider that kvm of 2.6.18 is much older than the one with 2.6.32. I run many OpenVZ with 2.6.32 without problems, so I consider it "stable enough".

@mmenaz

2.6.35 is ubuntu maverick kernel with 1.5 year support.
It's better to use 2.6.32 which is ubuntu lucid and debian squeeze long time support kernel (about 5 years).

@ Tony

2.6.32 is stable for KVM machines. 2.6.18 is better for openvz. I hope lxc will be stable soon...

michu

I'm talking about PROXMOX kernels, what do you mean with the ubuntu ones?
Proxmox 2.6.35, not being subject to OpenVZ compatibility, have better choices for updated (and some time more stable) KVM. Being a virtualization system means that you don't care too much about "long time support". When Proxmox in the future will move to kernel 2.7.99 or beyond, my kvm guests will still work :)

many thanks for your reply, very much appreciated.

If I need kvm only, and my primary concern is stability, which kernel do you recommend? 2.6.18 or 2.6.32?

does it mean that 2.6.32 is more stable than 2.6.18? Or they both are stable, but 2.6.32 has more features and/or better performance (given that my hardware is well supported by 2.6.18)?

2.6.18 RHEL5/Centos5 kernel has a very good reputation with stability, since Redhat is behind that, and it's a great reassurance to hear that PVE 2.6.18 kernel is based on RHEL5 sources. Is it also the case with PVE 2.6.32 kernel based on RHEL6 kernel?

thanks,
Tony

I remember that I was recommended to use 2.6.35. But you guys mention about 2.6.32. I am currently useing all vms as KVM. And for 4 months it is fine. But do you think I should consider to switch to 2.6.32

Thanks

2.6.18 RHEL5/Centos5 kernel has a very good reputation with stability, since Redhat is behind that, and it's a great reassurance to hear that PVE 2.6.18 kernel is based on RHEL5 sources. Is it also the case with PVE 2.6.32 kernel based on RHEL6 kernel?
2.6.32 is basing on Debian Squeeze kernel. As you may know Debian is one of most stable distributions. I'm using 2.6.32 in my Proxmox production environment without any problems. I have KVM machines only.

michu

@ ozgurerdogan

IMHO if you dont have hardware problems with 2.6.32 then you should switch to it. It's long time support kernel (5 years) like 2.6.18 (it's still supported).
Ubuntu maverick's 2.6.35 has 1.5 year support time, so IMHO proxmox team will not support it longer than ubuntu team.... And after 1.5 year you will face the problem with kernel change.

michu

hmm... We run mainly OpenVZ an I was just about to move to 2.6.32 because of the "swappages" option that is available there. What problems should I expect with OpenVZ guests on 2.6.32 compared to 2.6.18?

e.g. live-migration is not reliable on 2.6.32. but development on 2.6.32 OpenVZ is going well, so if you do not have any issue with 2.6.32 just keep it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!