Which CPU: Intel i5-13500 vs Ryzen 5 3600 vs Ryzen 7 7700X

peterLustig

Aug 9, 2023
Hello,

I want to decide between 3 CPUs:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 vs. Intel i5-13500 vs. AMD Ryzen 7 7700X

Currently I am testing on a Ryzen 7700X.
I run 5 VMs with a small Subnet.

The configurations so far is working good, but the total server load (8c/16t) is with 5 VMs running the application around:
load average: 1.69, 1.41, 1.38
Which seems to me low, when max is 16.0.

The application on each VM seems not demanding very much CPU as I see, it causes about 120GB/Traffic per day per VM.

So my questions, for lower price Ryzen 5 3600 and intel i5-13500 seem to be enough for my purposes. Do you agree?
With the intel one, I guess the advantage is also that I could passtrough the internal GPU...

Anyone has GPU-Passtrough working with i5-13500?
Any experiences with the "weird" 14c/20t of intel one and proxmox?

Hello,

I want to decide between 3 CPUs:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 vs. Intel i5-13500 vs. AMD Ryzen 7 7700X

Currently I am testing on a Ryzen 7700X.
I run 5 VMs with a small Subnet.

The configurations so far is working good, but the total server load (8c/16t) is with 5 VMs running the application around:
load average: 1.69, 1.41, 1.38
Which seems to me low, when max is 16.0.

The application on each VM seems not demanding very much CPU as I see, it causes about 120GB/Traffic per day per VM.

So my questions, for lower price Ryzen 5 3600 and intel i5-13500 seem to be enough for my purposes. Do you agree?
With the intel one, I guess the advantage is also that I could passtrough the internal GPU...

Anyone has GPU-Passtrough working with i5-13500?
Any experiences with the "weird" 14c/20t of intel one and proxmox?
Hello!

On this case I prefer amd CPU's so ill point to you the ryzen 5 5700 or 5600

The intel chip and the Ryzen 7 seem to be 2x the cost of the Ryzen 5 chip. In my homelab environment (no critical workloads) I would probably go with the Ryzen 5 chip, probably even a used one, with an older B450 chipset board, and use the extra money for ECC ram. Its pretty easy to find Ryzen boards that support ECC that don't cost an arm and a leg.

The intel chip and the Ryzen 7 seem to be 2x the cost of the Ryzen 5 chip. In my homelab environment (no critical workloads) I would probably go with the Ryzen 5 chip, probably even a used one, with an older B450 chipset board, and use the extra money for ECC ram. Its pretty easy to find Ryzen boards that support ECC that don't cost an arm and a leg.
I totally agree with that because intel is always more expansive than amd so i prefer pay less and get a good/better performance using amd hardware, and I will not have to sell a kidney and my right eye to buy intel components.

Reactions: peterLustig
Thank you for you answers!
I decided to take the Ryzen 5 3600, I already have one in my Desktop for about 4 years and it makes still a very good job.

Until now the performance is exactly what I need.
I will post again the average load when everything is setup and it is running for some time.

Reactions: Leonardo Mercadante
You could put your AMD Ryzen 7 7700X in your desktop and use the Ryzen 5 5600 for your PVE ;)

Newbie here. Can someone tell me why going with the 5 3600 over the i5-13500 is a better choice?

Looking at Hetzner prices it's nearly the same.

In my case I have set up the dedi machine as a hypervisor with three VMs

1 - gameserver and webserver acting as storefront for the game server

2 - NextCloud for family stuff

3 - personal website and helpdesk for family and friends

I currently use the Ryzen 5 3600 but might consider upgrading to the Intel CPU.

As you can see at the above vm descriptions I don't really run anything that heavy but i do like to have room for future projects or just for the purpose of tinkering with stuff

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!