Where to get -dbg kernel?

esi_y

Nov 29, 2023
Do I have to build it myself?

Code:
# apt-cache search proxmox-kernel
proxmox-kernel-6.5 - Latest Proxmox Kernel Image
proxmox-kernel-6.5.11-8-pve-signed - Proxmox Kernel Image (signed)
proxmox-kernel-helper - Function for various kernel maintenance tasks.

All I found was this [1]:
Code:
Debug kernel and modules
------------------------

In order to build a -dbgsym package containing an unstripped copy of the kernel
image and modules, enable the 'pkg.proxmox-kernel.debug' build profile (e.g. by
exporting DEB_BUILD_PROFILES='pkg.proxmox-kernel.debug'). The resulting package can
be used together with 'crash'/'kdump-tools' to debug kernel crashes.

Note: the -dbgsym package is only valid for the proxmox-kernel packages produced by
the same build. A kernel/module from a different build will likely not match,
even if both builds are of the same kernel and package version.
[1] https://github.com/proxmox/pve-kernel/blob/1b4116e1c8069bd04ce40c66c842f021f8d658a7/README#L178

yes.

I did some work with crashdump almost 8 years ago and was happy to have at least the last bits of information that helped me, yet a debug kernel would be also desired to further analyze the crash. Although, only a handful of people would be able to truly appreciate a debug kernel.

I know hot to set up the dump (but thanks for including in the thread!), I need the debug kernel grrr. :)

I am surprised the PVE team does not need it (to be in the repo) for the support ... I asked mostly expecting an answer like it's in subscriber-only repo, but not DIY.

the problem is that the debug kernel image is huge, and very rarely used. we've had 30 kernel versions already in PVE 8.x release cycle, if we had shipped a debug kernel for each of them (IIRC they are about a GB each *after compression*), our (main PVE, but for PBS/PMG it's similar) repositories would be 80% debug kernels by size by now (and each kernel bump would make this worse!).

we do plan on splitting out all dbg/dbgsym packages into their own component(s) and reduce where those are mirrored, at that point we can likely enable them by default (this is also how Debian and Ubuntu solve this problem ;)).

on the rare occasion where a debug kernel helps, we just build it and make it available (and to allow regular users outside of support to do the same, it is documented how to build it - it's literally just a single option to add to the regular build invocation :))

I didn't say you don't. I just wanted to say that there are/were people that wanted and used kdump/kexec.

In that case thank you for your moral support! :D

the problem is that the debug kernel image is huge, and very rarely used. we've had 30 kernel versions already in PVE 8.x release cycle, if we had shipped a debug kernel for each of them (IIRC they are about a GB each *after compression*), our (main PVE, but for PBS/PMG it's similar) repositories would be 80% debug kernels by size by now (and each kernel bump would make this worse!).

But most would never be downloading it, it could be in a separate repo so that people do not do it by accident. I don't think 30G is a disaster to hold, when the traffic would be minimal (as suggested).

we do plan on splitting out all dbg/dbgsym packages into their own component(s) and reduce where those are mirrored, at that point we can likely enable them by default (this is also how Debian and Ubuntu solve this problem ;)).

Shall I create a bugzilla issue to track it? :)

on the rare occasion where a debug kernel helps, we just build it and make it available (and to allow regular users outside of support to do the same, it is documented how to build it - it's literally just a single option to add to the regular build invocation :))

But the wait! And then if something goes wrong ... wait again ...

Shall I create a bugzilla issue to track it? :)
we don't track infrastructure things there, but like I said, it's on our TODO list and we are aware that the status quo is not ideal :)
But most would never be downloading it, it could be in a separate repo so that people do not do it by accident. I don't think 30G is a disaster to hold, when the traffic would be minimal (as suggested).
30G is just what would have accumulated in the past 3/4 year of 8.x. we have more than one release, and more than one node that holds that data atm, so it quickly adds up. once the split is there, keeping that one or two hundred extra GB of data in one location that has the spare capacity is easy enough.

Reactions: esi_y
Thanks for the reply. For me, the frustration is basically a situation when ... a car breaks down ... and as said it might be completely useless (to diagnose that way) but just to diagnose ... I have to build the workshop first. Working on the tool when one wants the tool ... gladly not a situation when it matters or there's time critical factor, but I can imagine it happens to someone.

NB I was looking at regular Ubuntu kernel options difference to PVE. I think (not for production) that PVE should start with that just fine, right?

NB I was looking at regular Ubuntu kernel options difference to PVE. I think (not for production) that PVE should start with that just fine, right?
ZFS will be older (and thus potentially incompatible), and some other features (and a constantly changing set of fixes) that we patch in would be missing

Reactions: esi_y
Although, only a handful of people would be able to truly appreciate a debug kernel.

Or someone might be asked for it and it should be easy to provide for that other person who may on their own not be "able to appreciate it".

I didn't say you don't. I just wanted to say that there are/were people that wanted and used kdump/kexec.

Thanks, it's not so lonely in the club. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!