when i use VI, pressing up and down arrow keys I seem to get characters A and B..

den

Feb 19, 2015
hi everyone.

when i use VI, pressing up and down arrow keys I seem to get characters A and B.., without even pressing "I" to insert...

I created a ubuntu 12.04 container using the template provided in proxmox 3.4VE...

hi,
this is the default Debian behavior of vi.
to fix this install vim per apt.

I've no idea, I don't use vi, but since I'm trying to install ispconfig, I've found this on a tutorial about it:
"I'll use vi as my text editor in this tutorial. The default vi program has some strange behaviour on Debian and Ubuntu; to fix this, we install vim-nox:"
apt-get install vim-nox
just try and see if solves

Reactions: dchau
coz nano isnt installed by default on containers..
i trying to keep my environment light and clean as possible.

But yet you are installing vim and other vim related packages?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vi is broken on all debian versions including jessie. if you cant fix it by installing "vim-runtime", you may need to use "set nocompatible".

you can either put "set nocompatible" into your $HOME/.vimrc
or enter it manually after starting vi :set nocompatible (use this to edit the .vimrc)

thanks for the reply.

vim-runtime is already installed on containers (ubuntu 1204 available to download)
"set nocompatible" did not work

the funny thing is... vim on the host (proxmox 3.4 latest) works fine. where on the templates, it doesn't.

Same problem here, only occurs when i use the console (if I SSH to the machine, vim works. If I enter the system from the host, it also works)

Strange, copy this in your .vimrc file , if you haven't one in your home directory create one:
Code:
set t_ku=^[OA
set t_kd=^[OB
set t_kr=^[OC
set t_kl=^[OD
Your basically mapping the key codes vim receives and map them to the right one, this worked for me.

Followers of the vi(m) religion don't believe in arrow keys. Our movement keys are h, j, k and l ;-)

That said - for me they work in normal-mode and produce letters only in insert mode. It's a different story when you're using VNC... maybe...

(Why would you go through all the trouble to move your hand over to the cursor keys anyway? ;-) )

There is same problem in 'mc' can you help? There is problem I think in ncureses - there is for example no color in background...

I've no idea, I don't use vi, but since I'm trying to install ispconfig, I've found this on a tutorial about it:
"I'll use vi as my text editor in this tutorial. The default vi program has some strange behaviour on Debian and Ubuntu; to fix this, we install vim-nox:"
apt-get install vim-nox
just try and see if solves

Thank you this worked.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!