what is the "search domain"

Afox

Renowned Member
Dec 18, 2014
Hello guys,

I am curious about the question what exactly the search domain at Proxmox VE (*yournode*-> DNS tab) is?

Could anyone please explain it to me?

Many thanks in advance,

Afox

This means that if you try to resolve foo in bar.tld to an IP it will succeed given your search domain is bar.tld. If search domain was not configured you would have to use foo.bar.tld to correctly resolve foo to an IP.

hello and thanks for your reply. unfortunetly i don´t understand quite well. Does this mean if e.g. a container is running under foo.bar.tld it will not be found if the search domain isn´t bar.tld? I am a little confused and not an expert as you see on my 3 (now 4) postings :)

sorry this doesn´t help me. The DNS-Article isn´t helpful, too.

In the Talk-section of your linked wikipedia-article is written
This page needs revision by an expert. It's not an Apple-only feature at all, and was probably inherited from the BSD/Linux kernel that forms the core of MacOS/iOS. I found this while seeking info on the same field in Ubuntu, and I suspect it's universal to almost every OS out there by one name or another.

The practical use for this is if you want to use local DNS in your network to refer to systems by name easily (particularly if in a Windows controlled network with DC).

For example:
-On your DNS server you can create a zone such as mybusiness.com.local then have some dns records for your non-routeable IP resources like:
-Create a record called myemailserver.mybusiness.com.local pointing to 10.0.0.100 (example ip address)
-Your server/vm/PVE will now be able to resolve "myemailserver" to 10.0.0.100.

Reactions: fanboyfanboy
What is the normal default search domain? I'm having frequent connectivity issues with the server from other subnets.

Mine is set to 'lan' right now but I'm not sure if that was a modification of the default or not - Not sure how to revert or reset without reinstalling.

What is the normal default search domain? I'm having frequent connectivity issues with the server from other subnets.

Mine is set to 'lan' right now but I'm not sure if that was a modification of the default or not - Not sure how to revert or reset without reinstalling.

I believe it is unset, but don't quote me on that.

I run DD-WRT on my router and have a custom LAN DNS using '.home'. For my 3 physical nodes, I set their default search domain's to that.

Hello guys,

I am curious about the question what exactly the search domain at Proxmox VE (*yournode*-> DNS tab) is?

Could anyone please explain it to me?

Many thanks in advance,

Afox

It is very simple, .... when you try to resolve any host, if the system can not solve that host, he try again using host.${search domain}. And if your host that you want to resolve is not FQDN(like gigi007), then the resolver will try from the beginning to find gigi07.${search domain}

How does one change it or blank it out? I'd rather my VM(ubuntu) use my router; when this was setup it put settings in there.
I can't blank them out; it wont let me save it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!