What does this mean in log?

ozgurerdogan

Renowned Member
May 2, 2010
Bursa, Turkey, Turkey
I loose connection in server and have guys in DC to rebooted server. Then when I check logs only thing I see at connection lost time:

Oct 31 12:00:20 s8 CRON[911689]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root
-- Reboot --
Oct 31 12:22:11 s8 kernel: Linux version 5.15.64-1-pve (build@proxmox) (gcc (Debian 10.2.1-6) 10.2.1 20210110, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.35.2) #1 SMP PVE 5.15.64-1 (Thu, 13 Oct 2022 10:30:34 +0200) ()

So what does this -- Reboot -- mean? Is it manully rebooted? Or pve rebooted itself? And if yes what log should I check ?

My Friend I have a similar problem with my machine too, the only thing is that my logs are empty of errors...!!! Nothing there..!!!
I think that this happened after an update..!! Did your machine freeze??? Or just rebooted with all VMs and LXCs closed???

I do not think it has frozen. Just rebooted wht only -- Reboot -- in logs. I asked guys in DC if someone has rebotted it but it is not possible. So what does that "-- Reboot --" text in log mean I wonder. Hardware is new.

no, that just means that the message before and after that line have a different boot_id attached. the boot_id is set by the kernel when booting

It happened to me but I assumed it was after some critical update..!! But then I realized that I haven't done any update so what was wrong????
See my previous post about freezing and you will understand.

lots of possible causes: freezing and manual hard reset, power loss, crash without a chance to log anything to disk, ..

In case there is a BMC you could log in there and see if it logged something. My IPMI is logging failing fans, too high temperatures, power losses and so on.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!