[SOLVED] Weird issue with iptables on PVE 6.3 host - rules are in the kernel but ineffective

kobuki

Renowned Member
Dec 30, 2008
I've upgraded a 5.2 system to latest 6.3 and experiencing something I've never before. It might or might not be PVE related, I have no idea. The gist of it, is I have a custom iptables firewall that loads without problems and does work. I had to allow a new IP for admin access, something like:

Code:
iptables -A INPUT -s 1.2.3.4/32 -d 2.3.4.5/32 -i vmbr0 -p tcp -m state --state NEW -m multiport --dports 2222,8006 -j ACCEPT

1.2.3.4 is the remote IP, 2.3.4.5 is the local public IP for direct access of the host. It also shows in `iptables -L`. But it doesn't work. Something like the following doesn't work, either:

Code:
iptables -I INPUT -j ACCEPT
or
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT

So allow all on the INPUT chain, without any other parameters, is inefective. I can't add effective rules. I was thinking that maybe some cgroup napespace interferes, I don't know. Never seen such thing. PVE firewall is disabled. No other rules than my own. No ebtables rules and no HW firewall. tcpdump shows that the packets are coming in, but there's no reply. Existing rules that get loaded on boot are working fine.

Any help or hints are greatly appreciated.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!