Weird behavior when use console directly into web gui!

Gilberto Ferreira

Renowned Member
Hi.
It's not the first time I got this very strange behavior.
It's happens with NoVNC and SPICE as well.
I do not recall if PVE 7x seriers has this issues.
Or perhaps, It's my setup here. (Debian SID Linux with Google Chrome | AdBlock enable)
Really don't know.

Check the video bellow in time line (frame) 00:16

Last edited:
Make sure that "Use tablet for pointer" is set to Yes under Options

Here we go
Code:
qm config 104
agent: 1,fstrim_cloned_disks=1
balloon: 1024
boot: order=scsi0
cores: 4
cpu: host
ide2: local:iso/virtio-win-0.1.229.iso,media=cdrom,size=522284K
machine: pc-i440fx-8.0
memory: 4096
meta: creation-qemu=8.0.2,ctime=1695658046
name: Win-2019
net0: virtio=A2:D7:E9:EF:7D:02,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 1
ostype: win10
scsi0: VMS:104/vm-104-disk-0.qcow2,cache=writeback,discard=on,iothread=1,size=40G,ssd=1
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=7cf8352e-4887-40ce-9c74-d0230182ecdb
sockets: 1
vcpus: 4
vga: qxl
vmgenid: 11a61025-3bcb-4de1-94b5-2e859e1ed4fe

I remember seeing that behavior long time ago, maybe PVE4, but haven't seen it since. At the time, disabling all mouse acceleration options in Windows made the pointer to stay in the same position as the mouse of the client using the console (almost, it was always a few pixels off but was completely usable). Also check if there's any warning on device manager, maybe something did not install properly.

Under "Summary" -> "IPs" does it show an IP address or does it show "Guest Agent not running" ?

"tablet" will be disabled if you use spice or a serial console..

This is unrelated to either QEMU Agent or virtio drivers.
AFAIK the only option that causes this is "Use tablet for pointer" when set to "no" in the Options of the VM. If it's set to "no", device manager will show HID mouse as disabled/non-present:

1695817566432.png

Then the mouse will not to work properly on Windows. To make it usable, in Control Panel, "Enhance mouse precision" must be unchecked and acceleration must exactly in the middle.

If it still does not work when "Use tablet for pointer" is "yes" and the devices are shown properly in Device Manager, maybe the issue is in the client/browser used to access the console. It has always worked like that for me.

If you want to use the mouse in the web UI, you will have to switch the display device from SPICE to Standard VGA or VirtIO. If you want to use SPICE, you will have to use a SPICE client.

Last edited:
well, you didn't really explain *what* your issue was in the first place. I guess you mean that the display size does not go back to the original one after being downscaled?

well, you didn't really explain *what* your issue was in the first place. I guess you mean that the display size does not go back to the original one after being downscaled?
What?
I sent two videos about what's happens.
You guess damn right!
This one shows how the screen go to small one.

This one shows that qemu guest agent are enabled, up and running.

This reminds me of a situation I discovered myself in, where I was discussing a project with the Executive's Assistant.
A problem had arisen where I was not receiving material, and after further enquiries, I was told the following: "I have been talking with you in my head."

The point of the above is that people cannot know what you are thinking. So, each video exhibits several problems, in addition to the screen resizing issue; the most irritating of which is the loss of accurate mouse control. Now, keep in mind what I have to do for people when writing tutorials, and that is to describe each step + have pictures/video for each step. Pictures and videos on their own are not enough; in the field, you soon learn that.

Now, for your scaling problem, see the following link and if it helps: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/h...h-scaling-already-set-to-local-scaling.68264/

This reminds me of a situation I discovered myself in, where I was discussing a project with the Executive's Assistant.
A problem had arisen where I was not receiving material, and after further enquiries, I was told the following: "I have been talking with you in my head."

The point of the above is that people cannot know what you are thinking. So, each video exhibits several problems, in addition to the screen resizing issue; the most irritating of which is the loss of accurate mouse control. Now, keep in mind what I have to do for people when writing tutorials, and that is to describe each step + have pictures/video for each step. Pictures and videos on their own are not enough; in the field, you soon learn that.

Now, for your scaling problem, see the following link and if it helps: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/h...h-scaling-already-set-to-local-scaling.68264/
Just look the very first post in this thread.
I pointed out there in frame 0:16 of the video, the weird issue that I have.
The screen do not returns to it's original size, unless I refresh the page. That's simple.

Just look the very first post in this thread.
I pointed out there in frame 0:16 of the video, the weird issue that I have.
The screen do not returns to it's original size, unless I refresh the page. That's simple.
And I'm pointing out I saw several problems... here's the thing, I learned a long time ago that if you want to convey something, you need to give all the information, and ask a lot of questions; and I work with a lot of people, from high-end to quite limited. It will serve you well if you learn that now.

Aside from all that, did the link help?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!